- advertisement -

A more appropriate education

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Has anyone asked their school to teach their kids something extra? For example, if a non-diabetic kid learns what foods are better choices than others wouldn't it be appropriate for a kid with diabetes to learn to add and count carbs at an appropriate age?

I was thinking of asking the school to teach my third grade daughter how to add double digit numbers up to 200 in her head. However, after thinking about it a bit more I decided that I would do a better job.

Still the question remains. What would you want the school to teach?

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Your school doesn't teach math already?

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is nothing wrong with you teaching what you want him/her to know.

You may be surprised that the school may be already teaching your child this skill.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Are you asking about individualized diabetes-related learning at school?

The school goes by its curriculum. What's wrong with/hard about supplementing that at home?

5. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I think this is a great perk of homeschooling. We don't homeschool, but I agree with you there are things I want Caroline to learn earlier than our public school curriculum provides. I taught her to tell time myself because she's going into 2nd grade and they have only covered "o'clock" and "thirty". Also, concepts such as 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of a "thing" such as a juice box, in addition to measuring cups. I think in general our kids have a needed skill set that is pretty particular to them if they are going to gain bits of independence. My school can't accommodate individual needs like this so I do it myself.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I teach several things at home that our public school doesn't teach because they are important to me (and I love our public school, it's not like I'm disgruntled or anything). My T1 daughter is a whiz at math, so I haven't taught her anything she didn't already know as far as carb counting etc, but that doesn't mean I don't do things at home.

For example, our public school puts no effort into handwriting (printing or cursive) and so we have old fashioned handwriting classes here at home, because I think it's important to have neat printing and cursive. I make my kids rewrite all their spelling mistakes because our school is very loosey-goosey on spelling (no lists, no tests) and I'm a fan of good spelling. I also taught them Roman numerals because I don't think they are included in math anymore. How are you supposed to tell when a movie was made if you don't know Roman numerals?

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can't tell if you're serious or if you're just sort of dreaming here. But no. I would not ask the school to alter their curriculum in that way.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

OMG, you actually parent? What a novel concept. ;)

(Not enough people actual do these things anymore....everyone seems to expect someone else to do it. We do similar things, some diabetes related, some not. My son is also great at math and when he was much younger he enjoying making graphs of his blood sugars, just for fun. But even when he was little, we did things like reading signs in the stores and counting. To me that's just a part of parenting. Many people don't do those things and wonder why their kids get to grade 3 and can't read. )

9. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Summer is the perfect time to teach practical things at home and have fun with it. Measure, weigh,& talk about carb count while cooking together. Take time to look at labels at the grocery store while shopping and weigh fruit (guess the carbs). Play calculator games together; practice counting by 5's and by 15's. And on the slightly less fun side, there are summer workbooks available.

I wouldn't ask my child's teacher to add in anything special related to diabetes.

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I want the school to teach my daughter the same things the other kids are learning. I've seen what happens when some kids learn quicker or are smarter than the other kids and they just get bored. Since most schools don't like the idea of kids skipping a grade because they already know the curriculum, to me it's better if my daughter feels like she is the same as everyone else, not smarter, or less intelligent.

Nor would I ask the school to teach anything about diabetes, carb counting, etc. It's not their job. It's mine.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd has a hard time with math, we are having her tutored over the summer to get her solidly up to speed to start 3rd grade, we wil have the tutor have a convo with her 3rd grade teacher at the start of school and thru tutoring we will bring in concept of "Diabetes math" that will flow with school courses. probable make up word problems that are carb counting related to work on. and will build in a snack into tutor time where she has to select foods and count carbs.

I think it is best to follow what your child is being taught and try to find ways to build "diabetes math into it",

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

I would like the school to teach cursive again. I'm not sure when or why they stopped, but they have, and it makes no sense to me.

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS was in 3rd grade last year, heading to 4th in September. They do teach them to add in their heads in 3rd grade, in our district at least. Maybe on your child's school website they have a curriculum of what your child will be learning in the 3rd grade. Doesn't mean you can't work with them over the summer and take advantage of some of the terrific math websites currently available to make learning fun.
    They teach math sooo differently now from the way I learned it years ago. When I attempt to work with my non-D 11 year old, all I hear is "that's not the way the teacher taught it" :rolleyes:

Good luck!