- advertisement -

A high that would not budge

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mojo's mommy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Last night Courtney's BS greeted me with HI....we have never encountered this before..fortunate I suppose..ours is anything greater than 33.3...holy high!!!!!

Anyhow, this carried on all night, I corrected, changed sites, changed insulin, u name it..other than giving her an injection which is what I should have done to begin with but I was scared because I did not know t the time if the insulin was going to work or not...

About 3AM she decided she was gonna be sick..all over the hallway..gross me out, checked blood keytones and they were 3.3..not great but not emergency yet. Anyhow, no sleep goin on and now she is much better.Has anyone ever encountered this before, a high that won;t budge..next time I will give her an injection but am more curious than anything, and thankful that I did not have to haul everyone into the car in the middle of the night for a road trip..:eek:

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

For us, if I get the stubborn high, that won't budge after the 2nd correction with the pump (first with original site, 2nd would be with new site), I'd be pulling out the syringe. That's the only sure-fire way to remove the site as the potential problem. If you think its insulin, you could do a new bottle via syringe to be sure. At that point, its not about really diagnosing the problem - its about solving it the quickest way possible.

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

The higher Hailey gets, the more insulin it takes to bring her down. Normally 1 unit will drop Hailey 70 pts, once over 400 it takes 2 units to drop 70 pts :( As always YDMV. I am so sorry you had a rough night :( (((((hugs)))))

4. jendean

jendean Approved members

I have only had to pull out a syringe once. Sometimes with a pump, the site we use can become less receptive, fatty tissue gets a little stubborn to insulin, and may store it a bit longer, delay the release. That can cause a real bad low later, so I do think correcting with a syringe can be the best idea.