- advertisement -

A good age for math

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jace's Mommy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

How old was your child when you explained how to do the math for corrections and carbs? And when did you trust them to do it on their own?
    My son is almost 10. I think I'm more so stopping myself from teaching him more so because I don't want him to have one more thing to worry about. As of now he uses his cell phone to text me from school or where ever he is with his # and what he is eating and I do the math and text him back. But I know at some point he'll have to learn. So I was just wondering what's a "good" age?

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

My non-D son is almost 10, in 4th grade. If your son is learning the same math as mine, I would think he is ready! Try introducing it to him slowly as to not overwhelm him, I bet he'll do great!

My D son, 7, is a math whiz; so is the other 7 year old D kid in his school, they are both in a gifted math program -- I think because they were exposed to numbers, carbs and ratios early that it helped them in math :p

Good luck!

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD is 8. She weighs her foods, adds up carbs, can do basic factors (like 20% or 75% but not 8%), reads food labels (serving size and carbs). She can also calculate a dose, draw it up and administer it. For that, we cheat so that I don't have to worry - we made a worksheet that does the math and she just adds the bg correction dose and the carbs dose and subtracts the IOB amount. It's the same form the school nurses use and she just keeps a copy in her bag. That said...she is very studious and careful. Her brother is almost 2 years older and I would never trust him to do it - technically, he can do the math...in reality, he's flighty and would rather just guess because it's easier. Guess I'm trying to say that it's not just an age thing - it depends on their math skills and their personality.

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

We started teaching immediately by doing all calculations out loud and periodically asking him what he thinks we should do. He has it down pretty well now. My concern at school is him following directions if he is low or distracted with other kids about to go outside to have fun (recess time)

He has a flowchart at school and his teacher oversees the actions. We appreciate her as it is not required nor are nurses/aids required. He knows the flowchart by heart now based on repetition. We label the carb counts on the snacks we take send with him.

He is now in grade 3 and is well ahead of his peers in math. I credit that to diabetes management. It's never too early to teach them in my opinion. I mean we have our kids on skates or swinging a bat at 2 years old!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Eh. My take on it is that they have their whole lives to do this stuff. My son is 8, and he checks his own BG at school. That's it. There's no reason for him to do more yet, and he's not interested. When he wants more independence, we'll work on it, but for now, he's too busy being a kid to learn about ratios and corrections.

6. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

Livie is 8, and she likes to pack her own lunch. I allow her to chose what she wants to eat and add up the carbs, do the math for the amount of insulin, and write the note for the nurse. I don't check her work because everytime I did it was perfect. She uses a calculator, of course. This morning she added up her breakfast and while I was measuring her cereal and milk, she did the math for the units. Her ratios are tricky (breakfast 1u:40c, lunch 1:25c, dinner 1u:35c) but she remembers always.

I think it depends on your child's ability and attitude. For instance, if my oldest daughter, who will be 13 next month, were my diabetic child I would NEVER allow her to do the math for carbs. She's just too unreliable with things like that, which is fine.

Just feel it out and follow behind to check:)

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think it depends on the child. If he is interested in learning more and taking on more, then by all means start showing him. If he isn't, I wouldn't push it. :cwds:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If it's needed; if there isn't an adult who can help, or if calling in is an issue then you do what you have to, but imho there's no prize for being the parent with the D kid who does "it" ( be that injections or self-bg checks or counting carbs) first.

And just because a kid is a "wiz" and can do it, doesn't mean that they should.

just my 2 cents.

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I think it depends on the kids and the circumstances. My kid loves to do the math, she's good at it, but we still make it a team effort. A lot of the time it's my deal - she wants a break or not to think about it. Others, she wants it all to be her doing, though I still verify. There isn't anyone at school checking her math, so there it's a necessity (and she's older). Even then she has the option of calling me everyday. If I were teaching this year, she wouldn't be able to, and it would probably feel much more like a burden because she'd have to do it without help. (Strike that, if I weren't accessible, the MommaKat in me would insist the school start verifying like they're supposed to...)

I think it's a great practice to think through any math out loud. As a teacher, I think far too few kids know how to share their thinking in math. (okay, I so don't mean D related here!) Dd actually lists that as one of her benefits for D (when she has a bad day, or is just sick of D, she's started a list of positives that come from having it. I love this... though I realize there may come a day when she tears it down and shreds it. That'll be okay, too.) When we're shopping we sometimes play Guess the Carbs. She'll pick up random things and ask me to guess and vice versa - We're actually getting pretty good ;) (not that we could hold a candle to most people here...)

10. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Connor started counting his own carbs when he was diagnosed at 7. He started doing the math on paper when he was 8 because that was when the shot became more regular. Now that he's on the pump he counts his carbs but let's the pump do the math. I make him do it once in a while telling him if the pump fails you need to know your ratios and how to draw up the shot. He's 10 now.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son is 7, dx at 4, and though I've often wondered at what age is the "right" age for him, I haven't considered laying D management at his feet yet. He doesn't even check his own BG yet, though I do plan on having him do it more often once he turns 8 in May...mostly for the independence of being able to go to friends' houses more easily. I also agree that he has the rest of his life to manage his D...and I worry that laying everything on him at such an early age will lead to burnout later. Not that burnout can be avoided totally, but I just want him to worry about kid stuff for now...not carbs and correction factors. Unfortunately, those will always be there, when he is a bit older.

Now, if he was begging to learn more and do this stuff by himself, I would not stop him. But only when he felt like doing it...which I think would get old really fast!;)

12. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

We are 1 yr into this and my daughter who is 9 learned the calculations in the hospital. Eager was an understatement, but I think it was a control thing. It was something she could claim amidst the loss of control over learning about having this disease.

Now I will tread this line carefully as there are some on this forum who think that I subject my daughter to doing ALL calculations and management by herself. I allow her to calculate, draw up and administer her own injections and she will not allow anyone to check her BG except her, even at 3 am. She just switched to a pump yesterday and is doing fabulous, but I DO VERYIFY EVERY BUTTON SHE PUSHES. Now if she says mom will you draw up my insulin then I'm happy to. I also record everything in her logs, restock her supplies and we verbally verify doses when she draws them up unless she is not with me. We are a team, the whole family.

I believe it is essential that the kids at least learn how to do the calculations and what their ratios are when they are able to manage that kind of math (that depends on the kid) so that in a pinch or emergency they can do the math. Knowledge is power and builds confidence.

If your child is interested then teach them, if they understand it great. That does not mean you are placing the burden on them. Your just teaching them to be responsible in their diabetes management.

13. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My daughter is 10 and was diagnosed at 2. At first I obviously did everything, but we started doing that math out loud when she was about 6 or 7...we follow along with the pump's calculations and she has been slowly learning to count carbs over the years. She can count and dose for a whole meal with some guidance now, but doesn't simply because I want her to focus on being 10. It def. depends on the child!!