- advertisement -

a few questions...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vanessa22, Jan 10, 2012.

1. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

I have a few I need opinions on so I'll just lump them together.
    #1- Anyone have a child with car sickness? My 5 yr old seems to be getting it all of a sudden again (she did have it as a toddler but it's been years since she's complained). I'm not sure if it diabetes related but it has been about since her diagnosis or so that if we drive over 30mins or so she says she is dizzy, has a headache, and/or has to throw up. She never does though and I always stop to test her BS just to be sure. We are planning a long 3 day driving trip this spring and I'm concerned about her. I looked into dramamine type meds last week but it didnt say anything about carbs on the box. Think that would be ok to try?? We have a smaller 4 hr drive next month too I was thinking of trying it out on her then.

#2- Our major issue with numbers is lunch. Her ratio for the longest time was 1/13 for lunch then she was constantly high so changed it to 1/10. We go back in forth and everywhere in between but I just can't get her normal at lunchtime. She is either over 250 or under 80 everyday, it drives me nuts! I'm hoping the pump will help with issues like this...... Any thoughts??

#3- For animas ping users.... What is the one thing you don't like about this pump? We're leaning towards this one for Brielle. We take the pump ed class in Feb. then hopefully will order it at her next endo appt in late March. We are all really looking foward to it!

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Car sickness is rough. No real suggestions, sometimes it helps to be higher and see out the window, not read or do stuff in your lap, maybe distract with books on tape.

1:10 seems like a high ratio, you may want to look into your basal/bolus mix. As you come out of honeymoon, if you're like us, you'll find being over 250 (spiking from meals) or under 80 each day is not unusual.

Ping did not wind up working for us. Lots of folks with little ones like it beause of the remote, but I would talk to all the companies before making a decision. The remote ties you to one kind of meter. We also had some kind of absorption/delivery issue, it seems, that made pumping inconsistent. No reason to think that's about the pump, though, it was probably specific to my child.

Best in your decisions!

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Forget the actual name...but they are seasick bands that you place on the pressure points on the wrist...they do seem to work.

We have used both the Minimed and the Ping....I do like the Ping, especially the remote bolus option...but am not very pleased with their customer service lately.

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My car is not terribly comfortable when riding in the back, so DD was much happier when she could move to the front. Gravol makes a non-drowsy Ginger formula but it says children must be 6 years old to take it.

5. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

No help here with the car sickness. I still suffer from it. I have found that bonine works better for me than dramimine. What works best for me is make sure and eat starchy foods (bread, etc.). That does not work as well when throwing diabetes into the mix, though.

Regarding lunch, we were having the same problem, but then noticed that that the lows/highs went hand in hand with whether lunch was low carb or high carb. Her basal setting was wrong and was being masked by the boluses. If you can't do a basal test easily, you may want to look at how many carbs she is eating at lunch and whether or not there is a pattern to the after lunch numbers. That will give you a starting point on what changes to make.

We have the ping and don't really have any complaints. DD loves wearing dresses, so the remote is a must-have for us right now.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I doubt car sickness has anything to do with diabetes.

As for the lunch issue, more information would be helpful. What insulin is she using? How long after lunch is she going high/low? Do you pre-bolus? Is her bg in range before lunch?

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Can't help with the car sickness.

Agree with Christopher on the lunchtime mystery.

Love our Ping, but the one thing I don't like is that it doesn't calculate IOB the way I would like to see on combo boluses. I would like to see any insulin above the normal basal amount be tracked. We had a couple issues with school where he left with a combo nearly finished. Since the extended portion isn't tracked as IOB, it appeared to the nurse that he needed a correction, when in actuality there was insulin still working to bring him down. Of course, he ended up with lows. It's something we know to work around at home but it makes it more difficult with caregivers. I don't know how this works with other pumps.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My nephew suffers from car sickness and had D as well. My brother uses Dramimine and the anti nausea bracelets. If he's in the back he still feels it though. The best thing for him is to sleep as much as possible. Not that you can do all the driving while she's sleeping but, if you can do some of it while she would normally sleep that may help.

With the lunch problem, what kind of lunch is it? High carb, low carb, high fat? Since it's not consistent it may be what she is eating on the days that she is high causing the highs. Is there a different activity after lunch on the days she is high than the ones when she is lower?

We use the Ping and my son love the remote. He can also dose from the pump itself if he wants to. Customer service has not been the best experience for us. My son also has insulin resistance after a site is in for 24 hours so, we have trouble keeping basals steady and every site reacts differently to the basal rates for us.

9. vanessa22

No I don't think the car sickness is related either....

She is on novalog and lantus. Yes she's normally in range before lunch and yes I almost always pre-bolus or do it right as she's starting. She takes a nap or rest most days right after she eats and when she gets up I have been checking because of all the inconsistancies and so I know how many carb snack to give her. Often she will come out of her room after about an hour and tell me she is low and she's always right.

10. vanessa22

Thanks I will try the dramamine I think and see if she can just sleep it off.
    As for lunch she almost always has pb & J on whole wheat with milk and a small amount of goldfish, fruit, something like that and her total carbs is 45ish. She literally eats this at least 5 days a week ;) She naps or rests after she eats for 1 1/2-2 hrs so really not much activity involved at all.
    I'm not really familiar with insulin resistance... How did you find out he had that?

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

OK, so in the case of a low an hour after eating, do you see a pattern with the TYPE of food she eats. For instance, pasta or pizza can take a while to work on the bloodsteam, so after an hour or so the insulin is working but the food isn't so that could cause a low.

As for the highs, that could also be related to foods and not prebolusing. If the food is acting on the body before the insulin peaks, you may see high bg's.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just wanted to chime in on the car-sickness issue. Not D-related. Bot my kids do get car sick in winding roads (not highways), so if I know I have to drive in such a road, then I avoid milk at all costs. This seems to cause the most puking problems. I either ask them to wait til we are at the destination to eat or I give them toasted bread to munch on, or even a banana.

For field trips by bus, I have given an anti-nausea med 1/2 hr before the trip.

There are homeopathic anti-nausea stuff, if you're into that stuff. I've taken them myself, but honestly am not sure if they worked or if I just didn't need to puke.:D

13. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

1) My child behaves as if she is in real pain when she gets into her car seat. This started a month or so before her diagnosis and still continues today. Her behavior stands out in this regard so we feel there is something here to look into about her seating position or whatever. You have motivated me to ask our Endo! :)
    2) We sometimes find that the level of morning activities will have a bearing on her when she is taking an afternoon nap and waking up in the evening.

14. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

1) Sorry - don't know any tricks for car sickness

2) I would log breakfast and snacks. For my son pancakes and waffles are guaranteed to cause lunch highs. Using a pump does make it easier to correct or do an extended bolus for these meals though.

3) The ping - there are extra steps that other pumps don't have. It takes me a little longer to enter numbers in the remote. Sometimes, to my husband's amusement, I have to chase my son down the hallway while bolusing so the meter and remote do not get to far away to communicate with each other. However, I love this pump and it is the best choice for our family at his time. I can use any meter and enter the number into the remote. We use the Accuchek Aviva meter ( insurance and accuracy reasons) and enter the BG and carbs in, then insulin dose and away we go. I love having the remote so I don't have to use the pump very often. It works well for us.

15. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

You are going to think I am crazy about the car sickness.....
    Years ago, my husband worked at a full service gas station. One day a longstanding customer came in with a leather strap and asked him to attach it to the underneath of her car, just where it would drag the ground a bit. Yes, he thought she was crazy, but she swore it kept her children from getting car sick! I had a roommate with a dog that had bad car sickness and he put one on her car, from that day forward, the dog never threw up again in the car. It has something to do with static electricity build up. All gas tankers have them. It's worth a shot, it shouldn't cost much.

Sorry, no help with the lunchtime highs.

We have the Ping and don't have any complaints, but it is our first pump and only had it since August.

Good luck.

16. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

My daughter gets car sick too. It helps to sit in the front seat. Chewing gum seems to help. She tends to run high (sometimes very high) on long trips and that will make carsickness worse. Using a temp basal to keep her BG down definitely helps. Car rides are not a happy thing for us.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

#1- Anyone have a child with car sickness? My 5 yr old seems to be getting it all of a sudden again (she did have it as a toddler but it's been years since she's complained). I'm not sure if it diabetes related but it has been about since her diagnosis or so that if we drive over 30mins or so she says she is dizzy, has a headache, and/or has to throw up. She never does though and I always stop to test her BS just to be sure. We are planning a long 3 day driving trip this spring and I'm concerned about her. I looked into dramamine type meds last week but it didnt say anything about carbs on the box. Think that would be ok to try?? We have a smaller 4 hr drive next month too I was thinking of trying it out on her then.

I doubt the car sickness has anything to do with diabetes. It's due to an inner ear imbalance, probably more because she's maturing and more alert to things.
    My daughter gets car sick. We have her sit in the middle seat, wear seabands and take a Dramamine before leaving. I have a bottle of ginger ale if she needs it and she finds that apple slices help her.
    As for carbs in Dramamine, there are probably very little that will impact bg. It's the fact that sitting is so sedentary that can make bg's rise.

#2- Our major issue with numbers is lunch. Her ratio for the longest time was 1/13 for lunch then she was constantly high so changed it to 1/10. We go back in forth and everywhere in between but I just can't get her normal at lunchtime. She is either over 250 or under 80 everyday, it drives me nuts! I'm hoping the pump will help with issues like this...... Any thoughts??
    Log everything she eats and how much insulin. Do you do a mid-morning sugar check? I'd log those too and if she eats anything. By charting this you can supply it to your nurse or doctor so they can look for patterns/problems.

#3- For animas ping users.... What is the one thing you don't like about this pump? We're leaning towards this one for Brielle. We take the pump ed class in Feb. then hopefully will order it at her next endo appt in late March. We are all really looking foward to it!
    We've been using Animas for 6 years and the Ping since it came out. Very happy with it, the remote is very handy. My one complaint (it's been this way since day one) is that you constantly have to plug in numbers. For example, you enter in the BG and you need a correction of say 1.5. It doesn't automatically put that in for you. You have to go put it in. In one way it's good as it's kind of a safety feature, but there's still a margin for error that way too. Customer service has gone down hill as of late, but it seems these days all the pump companies offer "meh" customer service. It's not that it's bad, it's just not that good either. Luckily, I don't need to use them that often.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Or it could just be that's she's two. My kids were holy terrors when it came to getting them into their car seats at that age, you would think the greatest pain was being inflicted on them.

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Just a note, when my nondiabetic daughter was very young she would scream every time she was riding in the car. We found out that she had a problem with wheat, which she has since outgrown (not Celiac, we checked). Seems what was happening is that when you have little kids and you're going to go somewhere, you tend to go through the routine -- you give them something to eat and get them pottied or a new diaper before getting on the road. So it wasn't the car ride so much as the fact that we'd just fed her and the wheat discomfort was kicking in just at the time she was strapped in to a harnessed seat and couldn't move, and couldn't be distracted with any interesting playing.

So sometimes car sickness is not actually car sickness. Maybe no relation to either PP's problem, but wanted to chime in.

20. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We found out about his insulin resistance when he was on MDIs but I didn't know that was what it was. When he started his pump I found that his basal rates need to be .050 units higher for his belly and bottom than if I use his arms and his legs are a crap shoot. When he was on MDI if I gave his shot in his belly or butt then it was like he didn't have any insulin at all and then when we would correct at the next meal and I would give his shot in his arm like he liked it he would crash. If I gavbonus shot in his arm to start with no high at the next meal. Like your little one, he pretty much lives on PB on low carb whole wheat bread, a piece of fruit and crackers or cheetos and a cookie at lunch.

When does she take her Lantus shot? We also had a problem with Connor having his Lantus before bed at 8:30pm and then it would peak at 8:00am and trail off from there so he was running high in the afternoon because his Lantus was wearing off. We had to give his shot in the morning which helped with afternoon highs and he needed less background in the evening anyway so, it worked somewhat. We ended up with a pretty strong Dawn Phenomenon with this change too. One of several reasons we started pumping (which for us has
    it's own challenges).

Like the others have said, log everything. Seeing it on paper can be helpful because it's right there, out in the open.