- advertisement -

A few questions raised because of a post yesterday

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommabear, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Yesterday there was a post , which has made me question a few things. I always check my son at night before I go to bed which is around 11, if I wake up at night I check to. I guess my question is~should I check him more in the middle of the night.. Our endo really does not have to much to say about this., which i don't get too much info from him anyways..we are trying to find a new endo.. I know it probaly goes by how the day was..if my sons b.g. is ok when I go to bed I don't worry about it as much, but of course if he is low I make sure he is good through the night..I guess i'm just a little un-easy about it now..:confused: Thank you:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You will get a wide variety of answers to this thread. This is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong way. Go with your gut and do what feels right for you and your family.

I check every night, multiple times a night. I have done it since she was dx and I will do it until she is out of the house. I do this so I can catch lows/highs and treat them to keep my daughter as safe and healthy as possible. If a child goes to bed at say 130 and wakes up at, say, 150, there is no way to know what happend in those 9 or 10 hours they were asleep, unless you check at night. They could have dropped really low and come back up, or shot way up and come back down.

I would not go 9 or 10 hours during the day without checking, so why would I at night? Danielle very rarely wakes up when I check her, and even doesn't stir too much if I give her a correction shot. So it is not impacting her sleep. It does impact my sleep, but I am fine with that. I only have to do this a few more years. She has to deal with it the rest of her life.

3. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I check my daughter at 12am and then at 3am, no matter what her numbers are. If at 3am she under 150 I check again at 5am. Her overnight numbers are not that good she is either high or low so we check every night, and I will continue to do so until I have and accurate tool with an alarm that can bring me peace of mind, our endo told us to check at night since day one.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

We test pretty much each night at midnight and between 2 and 3 am. We've caught and treated a lot of lows and corrected a lot of highs, and as a result DD tends to start the day with a pretty good morning number.

What about trying a few random tests at around 3 am to see what you find?

5. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Katrina, I have some of the same questions. Not because of the post but because I was reading another post about another member (I am not recalling who off the top of my head) who is way more vigilent with night time checks and having great numbers. Reading that post made me want to explore more about night time care.

My endos (between them right now) have been uninformative abou this as well. All they have really said is, check a few times a month and get some rest. I check if we have wacky numbers or extra excercise or illness or if i wake up "weirded out". Other than that I really have no idea what goes on at night.

I think I am leaning toward changing that. Thanks for bringing it up.

6. Christopher

My personal opinion is that this is horrible, dangerous advice that the endo is giving out.

For me, this is the important thing. Unless we check we have no idea what is going on at night and the consequences of not checking can be very severe.

7. taximom

taximom Approved members

Yes. This is what we do, as well.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son wears the CGM full-time, but if he did not, I would check multiple times a night. If you don't check at night, you will miss highs and lows, and I'm not comfortable with that.

9. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We do CGM part-time, and right now he has it on. We...well I should say I do night checks every night regardless CGM or not. I stay up till midnight, and do checks till then, I sometimes get up at 2-3am and check, then I get up at 5:30am fro work and check again then.

Do I resemble a walking zombie...yup. But so worth it IMHO:)

10. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Katrina -for us it's all about the numbers, activity etc. For you, you check around 11pm - and lets say you get a bg of 65 - you treat it - do you set an alarm and recheck, do you stay up and recheck, or do you feel good and sleep thru the night? What if you know your child was active all day, does that play a factor - what if they were ill? So many variables....

For us our life improved greatly with the cgm, I was able to sleep much better! And, rely on the cgm alarms to notify us of an impending problem. Sometimes we have a great night, and others we are up several times a night! CRAZY T1!!

You will find what works best for you!

11. Christopher

I just remembered another reason I check every night. If Danielle wakes up high it usually effects her numbers the rest of the day, in a negative way. If I can treat her at night and have her waking up in range, her numbers are MUCH better the rest of the day.

12. L101418

L101418 Approved members

We have strict instructions from endo to have an uncovered bedtime snack of 15g carb and 7-10g protein. Do you all do bedtime snacks? And I recently asked if we would still have to do bedtime snacks with the pump and the CDE said "yes" because you'll have that protein. I assumed since both my kids are honeymooning still that this was the reason for the snacks - for a safe slumber.
    We are MDI of Novolog and Lantus.
    (and when I do check 2 times a night both girls go a little high and then dip down around 3am and then back up a little by morning. I've never had a night number lower than 80 but I have had some highs.)

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We avoid bedtime snacks like the plague. He'd go through the roof with an uncovered bedtime snack, and covering it would mean active insulin while he's sleeping, which never goes well.

14. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Agreed. And whats more, our current night time habbits are setting him up for more trouble when he is on his own. Def. going to change this. Thanks.

15. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Totally agree! Which is why when we are with my mom (nana) - I could kill her when she asks the kids if they'd like a bowl of cereal before they go to bed?

16. Alex's Dad

Yes we do bedtime snacks too 15g or more, strict instructions from the endo.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

Before the CGM it was 12ish and 3ish and 6ish.

For that matter we get up more now with the CGM for the most part.

18. Christopher

Feeding your children a snack before bed in no way assures a "safe slumber", in my opinion. They are probably going high at night because of the snacks. I almost never give Danielle food before bedtime.

19. Alex's Dad

I have to agree with this, even with a snack at bedtime we get lows sometimes even at 12am, it all depends on the activities she had prior to sleep or if the NPH wants to work fast or not, I find it to be a very unpredictable insulin.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm part of the "we wouldn't go that long without testing during the day, so why go that long at night" club. We usually test at 11 and 2 and if 2 is an iffy number, we may also check around 430-5.

I would prefer to avoid bedtime snack, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I try and make it protein based, it usually makes numbers a bit easier to deal with during the night.