- advertisement -

A conversation that annoyed me!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2two, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

I pretty much just smile and nod and change the subject. It has been over four years and my feelings don't get hurt anymore.

I kinda' think that teachable moments happen when curiosity is initiated on THEIR side. I do my things (give candy, carbs, whatever) and wait for the inevitable questions.

Thing is, even here on the boards we all have different opinions about sugar, TV, whatever so we just have to learn to live nicely with each other, you know??

2. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

LOL that is awesome, and I agree!!

3. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

for sure!!

4. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

5. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Ah the "controlled" question! Aren't those so fun to answer! I like your answer!!

6. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Thank you all for responding by the way, I really appreciate it and needed the kind words!

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Exactly! And this is where i have the problem as well. I don't expect everyone to know everything about my son's diabetes. I don't know everything about my various friend's Type2 situations. I don't know everything about my friend Diane's Celiac,or my friend Erica's Hashimotos,or my neighbor's breast cancer,or my friend Mark's heart problems,and they don't expect me to. I don't ask them if they are sure they can have that brownie, or pizza,if they should have radiation instead of chemo,if are sure that bread is gluten free,etc. I don't walk up to total strangers and tell them that cigarette will give them cancer. So why do people get to ask if my son's blood sugars are caused by me giving him too much sugar? Why do people get to send me links to articles suggesting salad prevents diabetes? Why are they allowed to suggest that if I improve their diets and change our lifestyle things would be better? Why do I have to explain that they do eat brocolli and chicken and rice, and that we're not grazing at krispy creme for every meal? Why should I have to explain over and over that I am a good mother and they do excerise and eat right, and still have people wag their fingers and run their mouths? Why should any of us have to deal with that?They shouldn't have a free pass to butt in.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

what really gets me is that I've seen a lot of type 2's who can't seem to control there disease and end up in kidney failure, etc etc

I once had a type 2 tell me once "If I want to cheat-ie eat icecream-I'll just take some lantus" i didnt even waste my breathe telling him better way to cheat.

9. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I think that one of the hardest things for people who have grandma or their great aunt on insulin and being type 2 is that they cant wrap their heads around the fact that that person is not using insulin effectively, were as our poor kids dont make any insulin at all. So their T2 still needs to watch what they eat, so they instantly think well if they are on insulin they must not have any sugar since grandma cant have it. Heck I thought that way when my mom was put on insulin, but that was all I knew about insulin and D. The few people I was around as a kid who had T1 tried to keep it private for the most part and I never knew anything about T1 except for the fact they needed shots.

Heck I can even admit I was clueless but I would have never of tried to tell people how to treat their disease before my daughter was dxed, and I sure wouldnt try to tell them how to treat it now. I am not a doc and I have no right telling people what their diet should or shouldnt be. If only more people could take that attitude.

10. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I save my breath anymore when someone states their opinion about diabetes, just not worth my air.

On a positive note, last month I took birthday snack to Will at school. His teacher was out and he wasn't in the room as he had won a slushie and was in the cafeteria. The sub was happy to see me as the teacher had left in a hurry and the sub didn't know what she was going to do for the last hour of school. So I begin passing out the cookies I had brought and jello jigglers (sugar free). A boy pops up and says "Will has diabetes" and I said yes, he does, do you know what diabetes is? A little girl pipes in "it means his pancrit doesn't work right" another girl "he has to count carbs" a boy "yeah and sometimes he goes low and needs sugar". WOW! I was impressed, the sub was just standing there looking at the kids and commented about how smart they were. I asked one of the boys how he knew so much and he said "Will told me". I asked Will about it later and he said they always ask me questions when I dose or test so I tell them. Good job Will!

It hit me then, forget about the opinions of the adults, teach the kids and they will become well informed adults!

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I had Mrs.Canyoueatthat? visiting last week. I did some quick educating. As I told Mrs.Canyoueatthat? I have enough trouble with food allergies I don't need anyone questioning what I eat.
    As a rule I try to eat fairly healthy. I told Mrs.Canyoueatthat? that each one of us with diabetes is different and what works for one person will not work for another. YDMV

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So true!

And let's hope one of these kids finds the cure:cwds:

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members