- advertisement -

9 yr old w ketones/BG 289 & severe headache

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jake'sMama, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Is headache typical for 1.4 ketones (blood meter) and BG of 289?

This is our first time with this...

Background:
    During a scout meeting last night, my son looked at me and said "I have a headache." After complaining a couple more times within 15 mins and looking desperate, I found a mom friend who had advil and gave him one. (He's 9 and 80 lbs) He laid in his dark bedroom for the rest of the evening, eating a quick light dinner. BG was 171, no ketones. Headache somewhat better.

He woke at 3:30 and 6AM. He didn't wake me until 6 and he was crying and upset, finally asking for Tylenol. He had wet the bed, which he does when high. Put him a bath, he asked for no lights, headache back. Once he was out of the bath, his BG was 289 and ketones 1.4. As per sick day chart, he is home from school.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I would likely have a headache with either ketones that high or BG that high. With both of them together I would almost certainly have a headache. However, since the headache came first I would be more inclined to think that the headache is part of an illness which is causing the high BG and ketones.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I agree with Emma. I also think he may have caught a bug. Hope he feels better soon and that the ketones disappear soon.

4. minniem

minniem Approved members

You may want to give the pediatrician a call to have him checked out. My daughter gets headaches a lot and we were always told to bring her in if the headaches woke her up at night to make sure it is nothing more serious. I'm not trying to scare you, just relaying what was told to me. Is he having any other symptoms of sickness besides a headache? Does he get migraines?

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.:cwds:

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

Highs can lead to dehydration as the body tries to redirect water to the kidneys to help flush the extra sugar out. Encourage drinking of water, it helps with the ketones as well.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter doesn't get headaches from highs or ketones (well,if she does she doesn't tell me about them).. but she did have an awful headache when she was sick. Sounds like he's getting sick. :(

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

How is he doing now?

My son (non D) get's migraines.He has to be in a dark room with quiet.

My daughter (D) get's a headache with high blood sugars (but she doesn't get ketones) but they aren't debilitating. She can still function, unlike my son who get's migraines.

I wonder if he is getting sick and that is what is causing the ketones and high BS. Have things improved at all since this a.m.?

8. Jake'sMama

Thanks everyone. I especially appreciate those who give me a personal perspective on how you feel at certain BGs/ketones.

He was diagnosed with migraines before he was dx with D, but many of the headaches went away once insulin was started... so your guess is as good as mine! This did seem like a migraine (I am a chronic sufferer) but it was not on one side of the head, which is practically in the definition of migraine.

I've been thinking he might be getting sick for a couple of weeks now based on up and down BGs but nothing until now. He's eating lightly, drinking constantly.

After 4 doses of insulin, his ketones are.1, but BG was 399 at last check. Headache comes back after a couple hours when dosing with tylenol/advil.

If he is getting sick I suppose we'll know more by tomorrow.

Appreciate your posts,

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Sorry to hear his headache is still around and his BG is still high.
    I'm thinking maybe a virus? Sounds miserable though. :( Hope tomorrow is a better day!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Remember that the ketones will use up the insulin first so its not uncommon for the bg to rise while ketones are decreasing. Often times with higher ketones will need several corrections for them to disappear and for bg to respond.

11. Jake'sMama

Yeterday we spent the whole day correcting and pushing fluids and as the PP said, BG rose most of the day but finally had negative ketones by dinner. Thank you for pointing that out, it makes sense. I learn SO much on here!

BG check in the middle of the night was 58 and he refused to drink anything... managed to chew some Swedish Fish and got him up to 117 but his ketones are back to 1.2. Low/in range BG + ketones is the worst when he won't drink!!!!!!!!

This is the sickest I have ever seen him since dx. Swollen red eyes, severe headache, sore throat, ear hurts, belly not tolerating much. Sweaty and feverish but tylenol keeping temp under 100?.

Have Ped appt at 11:15.

Hubs is predicting IV fluids... I never think it's going to be that bad.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

:( Sorry he's so sick. I hope he is through the worst soon and can start to feel better.

13. Jake'sMama

Thanks Emma.
    I truly appreciate your posts.

14. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hang in there, I am so sorry he is sick. I hope he feels better soon. Let us know how he is doing.

15. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

So sorry he's sick! Ella had a miserable virus a few weeks ago and ended up in the hospital, so miserable. Big hugs and good vibes to both of you and like Susan said, keep us updated.