- advertisement -

9 yr old son not diagnosed..have questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sparky, Feb 14, 2009.

1. sparky

sparky Approved members

I am new to this forum. I have a few questions concerning my 9 yr old son.

In the past several months he has been more easily irritable than usual. He has had some outbursts of anger with his sibling, but not at school. This is unusual for him to be irritable for this long of a time. He has had a new brother, one year younger, over the past year.
    He has not had frequent urination or excess thirst. He does seem to have irritable moods and hungry after school until he has a snack. As long as I can remember, if he eats sugary foods like donuts or honey buns he will be tired later from eating these type foods.

Yesterday he had a Root Beer and honey bun and an oatmeal cookie for after school snack. He ate supper about 45 minutes later than usual. He was feeling fine until right before supper he immediately said I don't feel good, I gotta lay down. Went to couch. Kept saying I don't feel good, I don't feel good and acted agitated, wanted me right there with him. He said his stomach hurt, he hurt all over, he felt like he was car sick, very tired feeling and had a slight headache. He even said.."I feel like my body is shutting down". This is out of character, never did this before..usually very healthy. I gave him juice and tylenol and within 30 minutes he felt ok, and ate dinner. Was ok this morning..never had fever.

Tonight I checked his glucose leve with meter/blood stick at my mom's house. Two and half hours prior to stick he had root beer, hamburger fries and ketchup. About 30-45 minutes before the test he had apple and unsweetened jello. HIs reading was 259. We thought it was an error and took it minutes later and it was 224. My mom checked hers and it was normal. He seemed more tired than usual and went to bed earlier.

I plan to check it first thing tomorrow morning as I borrowed it from my mom.

I plan to call doctor on Monday morning. Yesterday evenings episode scared me and he told me tonight he had never felt like that ever.

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I'd take him to the ER tonight. Have you checked for ketones?

3. sparky

sparky Approved members

Yes, I had a urine ketone/glucose stick test and it was negative this am and tonight. The date of the sticks are still good..not expired but I've had them for 10 months after opening and says only good for 6 months after opened. So don't know

4. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

This is a silly question, but did he wash his hands before you tested him. Sometimes residual food on the hands can produce false highs. If you're confident that's not the case, I wouldn't wait until Monday to call the doctor. Keep us posted.

5. sparky

sparky Approved members

I forgot to mention. Last week one afternoon he had a very fruity breath odor. I could smell it in the same room and not be right up at him, but I have a very senstiive nose. It crossed my mind then about diabetes, but since then no other fruity breath.

6. sparky

sparky Approved members

No he did not wash his hands.

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would check him a few times over the weekend. Always make sure he washes with soap and water and rinses and dries his hands well. If he has high readings and gets lethargic or starts vomitting, I'd take him to the ER.

But w/o the excessive thirst and urinating, it's probably not diabetes....there are many causes of irritability, etc. I hope it's something mild.

8. sparky

sparky Approved members

Thanks for all of the replies. What would "high" readings be considered for him?

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Normal blood sugars are 80-120 and one shouldn't go higher than 140 after meals. If you're concerned about D, I'd test him a couple of hours after a big drink of OJ. If he spikes higher than 140, I'd be concerned. Do make sure he washes his hands first, the 259 could be because of food residue on his fingers.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Did he wash his hands before testing?

Please don't take this the wrong way...But, this kind of snack might make anyone feel weird "Root Beer and honey bun and an oatmeal cookie"

Excessive thirst and frequent urination are big time signs of D. Irrittaibility(sp?) can be a sign of a 10 year old, they go through a weird phase at 10, all three of my boys went through it.

However, just in case, I would have him drink a big glass of orange juice, wash his hands really well, and have your Mom test him again...Just to ease your mind. I'm a big believer in trusting your gut, so check it out just to be sure:cwds:

In other words, don't freak out, but do check it out...

11. sparky

sparky Approved members

I checked his blood sugar today before breakfast and he washed and dried his hands. It was 105. Mine was 137! I washed my hands as well and before breakfast.
    I had checked mine last night and it was in the 150's and it had been almost 2 hrs after dinner. I had not washed my hands last night either. So I will monitor both of ours over the weekend.

Thanks for all of your replies!

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Please do take care of both of you, and keep us posted when you can!

13. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

I found out I was type 2 after plying around with my son's meter. Go figure.

Cathy:)

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Do a couple of 1-hour and 2-hour post meals.

The high readings are a concern. There doesn't HAVE to be a lot of drinking and peeing - that comes from sustained periods of ketones. Hopefully you can catch it before that.

15. sparky

sparky Approved members

I took my son's reading at 10:30 am and that was 3 hrs after breakfast and 2 hrs after about 8 oz. OJ 112
    I took mine 2 hrs after breakfast and it was 142

I took my son's again 2 hrs after lunch and it was 127
    Mine was 152

We have an appt for him with our ped on Monday and I wlil call my doc Monday for an appt for myself.

16. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

Obviously the blood tests are the true method of diagnosis. My daughter, who was seven at the time, did not show any severe symptoms of thirst or excessive urination. She did not wet the bed or have any accidents. She did get off the school bus needing a drink and often running to the bathroom. Both my girls, including the non-d, still do this today. What I did notice was a dramatic change in behavior and some weight loss. She also had headaches and stomach aches. We blamed those on the heat - it was one of the hottest Junes on record in Buffalo.

My daughter was diagnosed at a routine annual check up through a urine glucose test. When the urine test was positive for glucose, the ped sent us for blood work and by dinnertime, we were in the hospital, where we would stay for three days.

Good luck.

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

While it is good to investigate with the pediatrician, I don't see anything to be alarmed about with these reading of your son's reading using a home meter and clean hands. (The first readings need to be ignored as his hands were not clean.)

You will discover that the diagnosis of diabetes is done with the meter in a lab. Home meters are not designed to be that accurate. Up to 20% variance is allowed.

There may indeed be something wrong with your son, but it doesn't sound like diabetes to me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  18. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I understood that the excessive urination associated with diabetes (of both types) is due to high blood sugar. The body is attempting to rid itself of the sugar, so excessive urine is produced. The kidneys have a tripping point of 240 mg/dl when excessive urine is produced. My son can always tell he is high when he has to urinate a lot. He rarely has ketones. Usually the ketones produced at diagnosis come along with high blood sugars.

19. sparky

sparky Approved members

Some of you have replied that his high reading last night of 259 was probably due to his hands not being washed.

My question is can you get a high reading on days when your kids have been eating or drinking more sugars/carbs?

Tonight, the last time we will check it until he sees doc on Monday..his reading 2 hrs after dinner was 117, which is normal.

The only times he will have problems with frequent urination and this is probably due to the citrus or citric acid is when he drinks Sprite or 7 Up and he really urinates a lot when he drinks these drinks.

Tonight he had frequent urination..urinated 3 times in 2 1/2 hrs. During day he didn't have any increased frequency though. HE drank 2 glasses of tea which may have caused it.

I will update after we see the doc on Monday and thanks for your replies..much appreciated

20. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Good luck with your appointments