- advertisement -

9 Year Old Just Diagnosed March 28

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jellybeanasmommy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

Hello everyone!

I am Jessica and my daughter, Angelina was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on March 28th. We were able to catch it quickly (thanks to her being sick! icky!) so she wasn't TOO out of control. She's been home from the hospital since March 31 and we are all adjusting to the new routine. She is doing amazingly well with taking on all this new stuff.

Unfortunately she is not a stranger to chronic illness and it seems that diabetes is just one more condition in a laundry list of things she is dealing with. She has had pretty severe eczema since she was an infant and then when she was 2 she was diagnosed with asthma and allergies. Thankfully the majority of her allergies are not too bad and just cause her eczema to flare, but she does have a couple that cause anaphylaxis and require a trip to the ER. It just means that now with diabetes we have to get even more creative with food. She also has ADHD and is intellectually gifted.

She is really smart and a fast learner and is already learning how to do her own injections and has been able to check her own blood sugar since about day 3 (with supervision, of course) and was able to return to school yesterday so she only missed 1 day (She was on Spring Break when she was diagnosed and had all of last week off still to be home and get used to things). She has her first appointment with the pediatric endo tomorrow, which I am looking forward to.

Anyway, that's a quick story about how we ended up here. I look forward to getting to know some of you better!

Jessica

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Hi, Jessica! I have a nine year old DD, too. It's such a fun age - even with diabetes thrown in ;) My son has many of the same issues your daughter has and I will say that the ADHD adds the biggest challenge for us. Things like checking supplies, remembering to tell us that he's out of juice boxes at school, following through on all of the button pushing required to dose with his pump, not remembering where he sat his diabetes bag, etc. They are little things but we definitely have to stay on top of a lot of things for him!

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome to CWD! We're sad you need to be here, but it's also a good resource for us to communicate tips/woes/etc. with others living with the same demands. How old is your daughter. Mine is 13, and we've been at this for just over 2.5 years.

My daughter also has eczema with food allergies and carries an epipen for some. We had an ER visit 4 days post-hospital when she reacted to a new item. Just a FYI, the liver pumps out glucose under stress. I was panicked because she'd just had a large bolus of insulin right before her body started shutting down from stress, but when we got to ER, she was in the 400s. Then in the afternoon as her liver restarted restoring its stocks, we saw lows.

The things I recommend for newbies that I wish I'd been told at diagnosis are:

Gary Scheiner's Think Like a Pancreas. It's the must-have in my diabetes library. Reading it was the lightbulb of how the nurses were adjusting insulin, and feeling empowered with that understanding made me feel far less helpless in caring for my child.

Perfect Portions Nutrition Scale, available at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and Target. It is so much easier and more accurate to type in a code and weigh to get a carb count than stuffing food into measuring cups.

Continuous Glucose Monitors are game changers. The amount of stress they relieve is tremendous, and the kids are safer with fewer severe lows or highs when wearing them. After using one, being without is like fumbling around in the dark.

4. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I have been reading through some other threads today and realize I have a LOT to learn! We are currently doing MDI with syringes and vials and I hope to transition to a pump as soon as possible (assuming I can talk DD into it) and I am totally confused about them as some of the things I have read on here are different than my expectation/perception of pumps.

I just read through the "Things your endo never told you" thread and found some of it quite interesting. We have our first post-dx endo appt tomorrow and reading through the forum has given me lots of ideas about things to ask!

5. Wendy140

Wendy140 New Member

Hello Jessica and WOW...You are writing my story!! ;)
    My name is Wendy and My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed Jan 28 after going into DKA, she was really sick unfortunately, We spent 3 night in Pedi ICU.
    She also has Eczema and Yes Asthma and Anaphylactic food allergies. She started doing her own shots within 2 weeks...now she does them occasionally when she wants, but has taken over doing her fingersticks and such. We are just 12 weeks in to Type 1 and all the new "Fun" that comes with it!