- advertisement -

8 yr old started wetting bed again

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by WillowBean, Jul 1, 2011.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

DS took a long time to stay dry at night and had gone 9+ months being dry. However, the last several weeks he is wet almost every other night. It does not matter if his BS is in range or not. He is also wearing a bedwetting alarm to wake him up and train him to get up in the night to use the bathroom (this is how we trained him 9 months ago) but it does not seem to be working this time.

Do I need to worry about this regression? Should I take him to the doctor?

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think I would consult with the doctor. Nine months is a long time to be dry to then go backward. He could have something as simple as a UTI.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I think I would ask a doctor as well. It could be nothing (some kids just don't stay dry at night until they are older) or it could be something. Better safe than sorry, especially after such a long time being dry.

Good luck!

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

One of my non-d kids has an occasional problem with this when she has very long, tiring days. She sleeps very deeply on those nights. We're only talking a couple times every few months, but they tend to be in a row.

During summer she is up earlier, goes to bed later, drinks a lot more water because it's dry and hot, and she's active some days from morning until night. So that makes summer a more likely bed wetting time.

I'd certainly double check with the doctor, of course, but it could be related to summer heat, long days, and activity.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Congrats on the 9+ months of dryness!!! My son still wears a Pull-up at age 7. We had a long run of dry mornings...so he asked to sleep in undies the other night, and I said yes. I figured, if he peed, the pull up wouldn't be there to keep him dry so he'd feel it and wake up. Nope.:( Went in around 11p to check his BG...and he was soaked already. PLUS, his BG was 56!:eek: Perhaps that kept him from waking from the pee? Changed him and his wet waterproof pad and gave him a juice box. Back to the Pull-ups...and he's stayed dry each night since!!:confused::rolleyes: His BGs have been excellent to slightly low overnight...so I can't blame D. I've been wondering if I should check this with the pediatrician as well?

Hope your son gets back on track quickly. I'd be thrilled with the 9 months!:cwds:

6. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I know this may be a sign of D but it may also be a problem with his pituitary gland... I wet the bed as a child and it had something to do with my pituitary gland. I hope that is all it is! I took medicine and it stopped my bed wetting. I also remember the alarm, it use to scare the crap out of me LOL.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Glad you brought this up...hope it helps the OP...and I will mention this when I bring my son to the pediatrician next time! Thanks.

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

I have an older son who wet the bed until he was quite old. The pediatrician finally ordered a nose spray that was a hormone for him. That worked very well.

Nathan wet almost every night until just a few months ago and he turned eight in May. The ped. offered to order him the nose spray as well but I didn't do it because of diabetes.

It's so hard.

9. MamaTuTu

Nose spray was what I used too. It was easy, if I went to a sleep over I would always "forget" pjs or something and my Mama would bring the item and also give me a quick squirt :p I can remember how happy I was one the spray worked!

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

What kind of spray is this...and why can't CWD use it?

11. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

It's called desmopressin or DDAVP. I don't think there is any specific contraindication for use in a CWD, but I could be wrong.

12. lynn

lynn Approved members

Because you must limit fluid intake after taking it. When Nathan is low at night it isn't unusual for him to need quite a lot of drink to raise his blood sugar enough.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It affect the kidneys. My son's pediatrician didn't want to give him any drug that affected the kidneys. As I read an endo say, the three things to the survival of a person with diabetes are kidneys, kidneys and kidneys.

My husband took my son to the bathroom every night until he was almost a teenager. Then the bed wetting stopped.

14. MamaTuTu

Before I started using the spray my Mama would make me pb&honey sandwish.. idk but something about the peanut butter was supposed to help, I cant remember if it did though. I hope your son is doing well and keep us updated!

15. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

Thanks for all the advice. I will be calling the Dr today. I am sure with the holiday weekend that it may take a day or two to get in.

DS goes to D camp on Sunday - we are a bit worried about bed wetting at camp but I am sure they have dealt with it before...

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hope all goes well with camp!:cwds: