- advertisement -

6yo son just diagnosed with T1D

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by frankjs, Dec 19, 2014.

1. frankjs

frankjs New Member

Hello all,

Not sure where to start. My wife and I are still in shock and have not fully understand what happened. We noticed last week our son was not himself, had lost weight, we thought it was due to being sick with a stomach bug and/or ear infection. He had seen his PCP the week prior and 1 week before. On Monday, we took him to see his PCP. After testing his urine and blood, we were directed to go to the ER "now" and then transferred to an ICU. We came home Wednesday. We thought we understood things, but could not control his sugars yesterday and felt stressed/scared all day. We contacted the clinic who told us to monitor and only go to ER if fever or vomiting occurred. We cannot find a local support group and feel overwhelmed and scared. I was then directed to this site for support. I'm not sure how to deal with all this and how to reach out. But this is our story thus far.

Thanks,

Frank.

2. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

I'm so sorry for your son's diagnosis. I know that fear. My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago, when he was 3. There is a whole lot you will learn in the coming months. A whole lot. This forum will be an excellent resource for you. I used to read through the archives every single night, for months. A year in, there are still plenty of days where I feel like we cannot control my son's blood sugar, and that is especially normal in the beginning, so I hope you can feel reassured that you are not doing things wrong; the disease is just very complicated.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Frank, and welcome.

Every single person on this forum has been through the shock of diagnosis and come out the other side :) It's not an easy task, managing Type 1, but it can be done and your son can go on and do everything he would have done without Type 1.

Hope you'll feel free to ask any questions, no such thing as a dumb question after dx. They throw an awful lot of information at you in the hospital and sometimes it just doesn't all stick.

How old is your son, btw?

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Frank,

Yes welcome to the new world. Its a little nuts here, but you will get the hang of it. My sons story was very similar. Weight loss. Hospital. Special trip to a Childrens Hospital. Staying there for days learning things. Then all of a sudden...home. Talk about learning how to swim by throwing yourself in the water method!!!

But you will swim.

The basics are:
    1) How many carbs on that plate?
    2) how much insulin do i give to cover those carbs?
    3) whats his number now and do i have to correct if he is a little high or give a little less insulin at a meal if he is low?
    4) write it all down.
    5) Check him during the night

Rinse and repeat.

Take it one day at a time, and if that is too much, one meal at a time.

Ask questions. Lots of smart people here.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome to this site and sorry that you've had to seek us out! We all know how you are feeling and please know that you will become the most knowledgeable source for keeping your son healthy very soon!

One recommendation I will give you is to ask for as much support as your clinic can give you. Don't be afraid to be the squeakiest wheel! Ask for guidelines for dosing if you aren't on a carbohydrate to insulin ratio yet. Soon you'll probably be asked to keep a food journal with blood glucose numbers for the nurse to evaluate so that you can get a ratio. If not, request that that happens so you can more accurately match the insulin with the food your son is eating. Here's a book you can read online that is written by our clinic (The Barbara Davis Center). http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c.../Pages/FirstBookforUnderstandingDiabetes.aspx It isn't the most recent edition, but the basics haven't changed! Have courage!

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Welcome! We know how you feel. The first little while is definitely tough, but everything will come into focus again. For now, just go check by check, meal by meal, and day by day, and ask for as much help as you need from your clinic, from us, and from the people around you (for moral and non-diabetes support, of course!). Remember that everything will be all right! My son is 6, too. He was diagnosed 4 years ago, and he is a happy, healthy kid. Diabetes is always there, but often it is about fourth down the list in terms of our daily concerns!

7. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Hi, I know how you feel! Our 6 yo son was just dx 2 weeks ago. I took him to the PCP with a 2 day history of going to the bathroom every 30 minutes and eating like a horse, but looking like a undernourished child. He had been complaining for a few weeks of being tired and I had a sneaking suspicion that "I'm raising a sickly child but I can't figure out why." He was hospitalized for 3 days at the children's hospital. I came to this site because we don't live close enough to our local JDRF chapter. The first week was incredibly scary! We are still not sleeping much at night. However, I have been a squeaky wheel with our endo office. They always call us back promptly. I'm the mom with "1,000 questions" as I try to get a grasp on managing all of this. I'm so thankful to have my husband to help.

To celebrate getting out of the hospital and him taking on doing his OWN finger pricks after we got home......we got him his first bike......and he just took the training wheels off yesterday. Children never cease to amaze me with how adaptable they are. I think its taking my husband and I longer to get adjusted.......

Jennie

8. steph

steph Approved members

Hi Frank,
    I have a 4yo and live not too far from you. There is a group of parents with kids your son's age that meet at Gattiland in Round Rock once a month. Last month it was mostly 5 and 6 year old boys, so y'all would fit right in. It's the Betes Buddies group affiliated with JDRF. You can find us on facebook. It is so awesome when your kid meets other kids with T1D and see they're not the only one. It is equally awesome to meet other parents going through the same thing you are. Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up or want more info about meeting other T1 kids and parents.