- advertisement -

6 yr old soon to be 7 complains of being hungry all the time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetpea2502, Mar 7, 2014.

1. sweetpea2502

sweetpea2502 New Member

Hi I am new on here. I have a 6 about to be 7 this month I also have a 4 year old both are type 1 diabetics. My 6 yr old is constantly complaining about being hungry even after eating. When sitting down to eat she will consume as much as My husband or I would eat, and still will complain that she is hungry. Wondering if there are any other people that have dealt with this or are currently dealing with this problem and if so what have you done or are you doing. I know she isn't going hungry but she will look at me at times shortly after any of the meals and Mom I'm starving. Please any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You don't say when she was DXed and there are a few things that come to mind. It just normal healthy growth and she is in a spurt. If she is newly DXed she may not have been growing to her full potential prior to DX and is making up for it.

If numbers have been too high, then she might not be getting enough insulin to get the energy out of the food she is eating.

She could have an absorption issue, celiac comes to mind.

Is there any rhyme or reason about the timing of when she stops feeling hungry, I know my dd is " hungry" when low and or still dropping especially. if entering a pre-bolused meal at a great number and she is slow at first to eat of if it is high protein/fat she can all of a sudden finish the meal and want more, she will end up eating more than me.

This is something to talk to the endo or peds Dr about, it maybe totally normal growth, but you should consult the Dr if it is concerning you.

3. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

Even my DD had voracious apatite right after Dx. Our endo said her body would have been starving during the couple of months preceding Dx and it was making up for that. She had lost more than 2 kg in about a month before Dx. But her apatite came back to normal in about a month.

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son also ate like crazy after diagnosis, but over the years I have found that he goes through period of eating everything in sight and then in a few weeks it goes back to normal. I have figured out that these to me seem to be growth spurts where he is eating more and of course requiring more insulin.

I would say to let her eat (unless there is a weight problem or something) and see if it passes after a while. I could be a growth spurt.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

If she's hungry and the food she's eating is healthy, then I say let her eat and cover the carbs! :)

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter was recently diagnosed (01/24/2014) and she ate enormous quantities of food right after diagnosis because she had lost over 10 pounds. This tapered off gradually, but she is still eating far more food than she did before diagnosis (or least it appears that way to me). And she frequently says she's hungry shortly after a meal. I said "it appears that way to me" because when I thought some more about it, I realized that, prior to diagnosis, she was a major grazer and never seemed to eat very much at any one sitting. Now that her eating is "restricted" to only 6 times daily (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and three 30-carbs-or-less snacks because she is still on MDIs) I suspect that the total amount of food she consumes is about the same as before her diagnosis but is consolidated into these six meals instead of spread out over the entire time she is awake. This is one of the main reasons why we are chomping at the bit (pun intended) to get her on a pump, so she can eat whenever she wants. (She remains about as thin as she was months before she was diagnosed). This "theory" of mine may have nothing to do with why your daughter is trying to eat you out of house and home; I just wanted to put this idea out here for your consideration if your daughter was recently diagnosed. Good luck getting to the bottom of this!

Addendum: Just wanted to say how very much I am in awe of you parents out there who are managing more than one CWD!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This is JMHO, but I think that the insulin regimen aspect of Type 1 - anticipating how much you will eat before one even tastes a bite, and pre-dosing and assessing and evaluating all food consumed really complicates a kid's relationship to meals. Moreover, mine reports being hungry, perhaps more needing to eat, rather than actual hunger, when her bgs are high AND low. In other words, I think for some people, type 1 can really wreck havoc on their natural appetite.

I suppose I would try to see if there is any coincidence of out of range bgs and excessive hunger. I'd also consider if she isn't actually thirsty but expressing that need as being hungry.

I wouldn't restrict her, just feed her wholesome food and try to bear in mind that living with Type 1 can really mess up the appetite wiring for some kids.

Good luck.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

If it makes any difference, my 6 year old son often says he is hungry not long after a meal where he ate a lot. I think it is because they are growing. If the diagnosis was recent it could be from that, but if not, it could just be a 6 year old thing. If it persists more than a few weeks or a month it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring it up to your dr/endo and see what they think.

Hope this helps!

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When we took the Type 1 University classes, one thing I learned that I hadn't know was that Type 1s are missing amylin as well as insulin. Amylin slows digestion and gives the feeling of being full, so he said that Type 1s are hungry most of the time. I know my daughter can be hungry again within an hour after a huge meal.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

thanks, it I a nice 1 pager.

This is why I am more in favor of a biological cure like encapsulated islet cells rather than the artificial pancreas.

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughters hungry all the time no matter what or how much she eats. High, low, normal bg, it doesn't matter. I try to find her meals that will sustain her but she's still always hungry. She's always been like this and she can eat more than me if I let her. It is what it is, I'm not going to let her eat 12 meals a day because of it. As mean as that may sound, I also don't want a weight problem later on. I've seen what problems that causes too.

13. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac eats almost every two hours when awake, if not more. If it isn't a normal meal/snack time and he is "starving" as he says we offer him veggies, protein, and water. He usually likes noshing on pickles, cucumbers, carrotts, hard boiled eggs, cheese and salami. I do believe for him it has been that he wasn't obtaining the necessary calories/vitamins/nutrients etc prior to his celiac dx...since then he has eaten often and grown almost 2 inches in 6 months. So...if it's a recent dx of diabetes it could be the body needing to make up for missed nutrients. If they're growing they need food...on average Isaac has 8am breakfast, 10 am snack, noon lunch, 2pm snack, 4pm snack, 6pm dinner, 8pm snack at bedtime. So, when I say he says he's starving between and we offer those other foods it is not as if he won't have another opportunity to eat more again anytime soon ;) So, feed them healthy foods, cover carbs and hopefully eventually their needs will taper, at least a bit for at least a while, right?! :)

14. bella07

bella07 New Member

Hi sweetpea2502! You may have already thought about this, but the first thing that came to my mind was wondering if your 6 year old was experiencing very low blood sugar prior to eating a meal. I have hypoglycemia and know that even when I eat well balanced meals three times daily, that sometime my sugar is so low that I eat a lot at one time (my body telling me that my sugar needs to be raised) and even after, I still feel as though I need to eat because I haven't given my body the chance to take in what it needs to raise my sugar - so I would end up overeating. I know with children it is really difficult to get them to eat when you ask them to, but does your 6 year old have the opportunity to eat every 2 hours? Maybe this would help?