- advertisement -

6 or 9 mm. cannula?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joseph, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

That's my question now. For the past month our sets don't seem to last for more than one day, maybe one and a half... trying to find reasons... and possible solutions. Even though I can get in touch with our end 24/7 our next appointment is the 17th and I want to have some things clear before asking her.
    We have been pumping for three years now. Our son turns 6 this August and maybe now he could need a longer cannula.
    Any opinions or experiences on this issue?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We have a lean 7 year old, we us a 6mm cannula (inset). Maybe you need a different type, or should try an angled set?

Just spitballing here, but is there a chance that the set is fine and he's growing like mad so what you interpret as a bad set is really just him needing a lot more insulin?

3. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

My daughter and your son are diabetic twinsies. We use the 6mm steel Contact Detach, and we have very few issues. We get a full three days out of them. We were told at camp one time that if you find you are having issues, and it is not the type of infusion set, that switching to a 9mm could be a viable solution. However, I think that for our kids' ages, it is probably not the length of the cannula but the type of set that would be the most likely culprit.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We get about 48 hours out of a steel set, rarely any longer. Are you over using site areas? We did and when our endo told us we had to stop using those areas our numbers got better right away. Cannula length is dependent on how much body fat your child has and what areas you use. My daughter is very thin and we use arm sites for part of our rotation and there is no way we could put a long cannula there. Now and then we hit muscle with short ones which is very painful.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I doubt a longer cannula is the answer. My Ds is 13 and still uses the 6mm cannula. Unless your child is (how do I say this nicely) a little (or a lot) on the husky side, I wouldn't think you would need to switch to 9mm.

We had trouble with cannulas on stomach--so we use only sure t sites (steel needle) on the stomach area. We use quick sets or mios for arms and legs. Maybe it would help to experiment with different sites for different body parts, if you haven't already.

Do you have suspicions on why it's happening? Is the cannula bending? Or is it staying straight but just not absorbing right?

Changing a site very day would be super annoying so I hope you get things sorted out soon!

6. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Excellent points on the site areas. We use her bum exclusively for pump sites and rotate around. As she gets older we will experiment with branching out of that area (we use her tummy for her Dex).