- advertisement -

6 failed pods in 3 days :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Nov 3, 2010.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I know that pod failures and occlusions have been discussed here as being more frequent but this seems ridiculous. We have lost 6 in 3 days.

3 of them in a row just last night!:eek:
    5 of them gave us the high pitched death beep and 1 didn't beep after filling.
    (3 of them are still beeping so they are sitting outside so we can't hear them until the garbage goes)

I did notice that they all came from the same lot. Lot #L30378
    Has anyone else had problems with this specific lot or when your bulk pod problems come are they coming from one lot number?

Omnipod was very cooperative and agreed to replace all of them with none of the run around I usually get so that was good.:)

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

We had lot 30347 (typed from memory because I had to call on it so many times) that was an issue for us. Of the forty pods in our shipment, nine alarmed as bad. That does not include the ones that went bad but did not alarm (meaning bg soared for no reason and ds developed ketones) or did not beep during primin. So over 25% of that shipment was bad! Totally and completely UNACCEPTABLE!

Omnipod was very nice and replaced all the alarm pods, but I want something that is dependable--and right now, I hate to say, I just don't feel like I can depend on these pods. We're using them still, but we'd switch in a heartbeat if another tubeless pump came on the market! And I stay on alert for ds's calls to tell me his pod is alarming.:rolleyes:

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

This makes me so nervous...we will start using the omnipod the 16th! Hope these problems are resolved quickly.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

A couple of years back there were a lot of pod failures due to static electricity.
    Things like fleece coats and blankets aggravated the problem. Then, it seems there were few problems for a long time. We rarely have a pod that doesn't last till the insulin is gone. I hope this gets sorted out.

5. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Yes static can short out the pods. We have had this happen once or twice last winter.
    Honestly we have only started having this many problems in the last few months.
    The past 2 years have been GREAT on the Omnipod.
    Sadly, the problems have become so often for us we have decided to make the switch to a Ping.

6. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We've had some pod issues lately too - mostly alarms a day or so into the 3 days - but I will not give up on the Omnipod. I showed Kathy a traditional tubed pump and she showed no interest in going that route. If we did anything, it would be back to MDI, which she doesn't want to do either. She definitely is a "tubeless pump" girl.

7. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems that you are switching. We haven't had any more alarms than usual. Had one alarming pod when the last shipment arrived...and maybe 4-6 others in the shipment. Still waiting for the smaller pods to arrive...each shipment I keep my fingers crossed. Hope all works out with the Ping:)

8. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

We go through periods where we'll have several pods fail, then weeks will go by where everything is perfect. We've had a better time with it if we always keep the insulin in the fridge, then draw it up and let the syringe sit for awhile till it's room temp before filling the pod. When it's working right it's such a huge positive influence on DD.

But I seriously hate their on hold music. Ugh! they need something better.

9. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'm with you, but I have also read a lot of positives about the pod and it seems as though you read about the horror stories a lot more frequently then stories of the pods just working and working. I am not downplaying the frustration felt by users who's pods have failed. It seems inevitable that we will all have our share of failures. At least you can call Insulet and get it sorted out.

So far, 100% of Jeremy's pods have worked. (He is currently on his second pod so the first one worked, hence 100% success rate) :D

10. JeremysDad

I read the manual from cover to cover and on page 135, it describes how you can turn a beeping pod off if the PDM cannot do it.

Quote: Press the end of a paper clip or similar item straight down into the manual alarm shut-off port on the top-side of the pod The port can be found by following the bright white trail on the top of the pod. Move the paper clip back and forth until the alarm stops.

Actually, the pod speaker is a round disc that you can see on the top of the pod slightly to the front and left side. If you damage that area with a screwdriver, your pod will stop beeping.

11. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

That's the issues I had...I started the Pod in November of 08'. I tried all the tricks they recommended-spraying my clothes with static guard, wrapping the PDM in dryer sheets etc. It didn't work for me.

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

I would also think you could stop the beeping by taking out the battery. We have had an occasional occlusion over the time we have been on the Omnipod but never have experienced multiple pod failures. Sorry you are having such a bad time. :(

13. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

We have also had quite a few failures in the last couple of months. When I called in the last failure, the CSR told me that they have seen many more problems with lot numbers that start with L303. He said that L304 lots are shipping now and there have been far fewer failures

14. JeremysDad

Since winter is almost upon us and homes will be drier which contributes to the buildup of static, here is a way to minimize it's effect.

Keep the pods in their box. Before taking a pod out, ground yourself by touching a metal object that is attached to your house ground, like an electrical conduit or water pipe or any metal object that has a 3-pronged plug. This will dissipate the static charge buildup on you and your clothing. Avoid walking across a carpeted area to get to the pods after you have touched the metal object. This becomes more important as the humidity drops.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

First of all this is completely normal for ANYTHING you examine on the internet - there are always more negative comments than positive ones because no one bothers to go to all the trouble of posting "all is good".

Secondly, we also had a L303X shipment that failed 6 out of 6 randomly picked from three boxes over three days and we had them replaced. We had no occlusions - just stop errors - some were immediate and some took a day or so. I personally know of another pod user parent who had a very similar experience with a different L303X lot but I don't think they had occlusions.

Both of us were shipped replacement shipments with different L303X lots and are doing perfectly - 3+ days each pod.

I feel strongly that they don't have lot specific issues but it's obvious that something is happening. I remember a few years back when we had other issues that Insulet told us they identified a problem with pods that were dropped during shipment and I seem to remember they got that worked out somehow but I have a suspicion that these problem are shipment specific and not lot specific.

For what it's worth is only stands to reason that everyone's lots are L303X for a significant time frame since most companies serialize their lot numbers. I would wager that a very large percentage of OmniPod users are on a L303X sequence or have been in the last 3 months.

16. JeremysDad

The pods are made in China. Now, I am not disputing that the utmost care is used in producing them according to FDA guidelines, they are still made overseas and need to be shipped to this country. They probably did not travel in a temperature-controlled environment plus what do we know about their handling before we get them. At least Insulet stands behind their product (or so I have read in this group)

Our CDE is a T1 and has been on the Omnipod for a few years and has had very few failures.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

So ... you're "just sayin'"?

18. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

We've had a lot of errors lately too. This week we've had 3 in four days. I know 2 of them were from dif. lot numbers and dif. shipments. I noticed this time that these cannulas were kinked . We don't usually get kinked cannulas, so I'm not sure what's up with that...
    Anymore I just leave all the info about the errored pods on their voice mail. The customer service is good, but I get tired of answering the same questions. Plus, I'm usually pretty irritated when I call:rolleyes: