- advertisement -

522 to 723

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 22jules, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Has anybody upgraded their medtronic 522 to the new revel 723? My daughter is about due for a new pump and at 13 I'm thinking that we should get the bigger resevoir. The most insulin she uses daily is 30 units and in Feb it will be 5 years since dx. She is also incredibly active.

She is probably just now starting puberty so I think the bigger resevoir would be important but she and I are wondering if the increased size and slightly different shape of the 723 will bother her.

Anybody?

2. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

my daughter is much younger and uses the 523 revel, but when we have had to get a new pump our pump rep would lend us one of his (usually a 7 series) and I really didnt notice the huge difference

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

They accidentally shipped us a 523 instead of a 723 when we upgraded. She had been on the 722 and I didn't even notice until I put the battery in! We compared them (the 523 and the 722) before shipping it back because we were curious and there wasn't much difference in size.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have the 723 but don't know any different because it's our first pump. It's just slightly longer than the Guardian device; I'm thankful we have the larger reservoir if needed.

5. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

The size difference is really negligable. I don't think she'll notice the difference.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

You can use the 1.8u reservoirs in the 723 until she starts using more insulin - it's definitely more sensible to go with the 723 as you have no idea how her needs will change. When we started pumping we were on 7u a day - now, only 18 months later are up to 60u a day and climbing - I am very thankful that our rep persuaded us to go with the larger pump.

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I think the difference is 1/4 inch. If your daughter is going to go through puberty, I would recommend the 723 because her insulin needs are going to increase dramatically (been there done that) and a 100 unit reservoir won't be large enough.

8. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

We just ordered ours, and the rep took the time to show us the two side by side. The size difference is negligible, and we can use the smaller reservoir in the 723 until we need to bump up. With major growth on the horizon, that sold me on getting a 723.

As for a start date, meh. We might know sometime in Feb when that will be, we might not. I'm sticking to my refusal to stress about the center for now. Kiddo's happy, so I'll just go with the flow...

9. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

That's exactly what we did. The slightly larger size didn't bother Lauren (guess she's now slightly larger too!!) and the larger reservoir is great. Her insulin needs have jumped as she's entering the teens.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Or you can get the bigger reservoir and fill it with insulin to last more days. That's what we do. Both size reservoirs are the same price, and this way we're using (and paying for half) as many.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we went from the 522 to the 723. She's going to be 9. At 13, I'd definitely go with the larger pump. You can use the smaller reseveriors in the larger pump, to use them up.. We actually still on the smaller reseveroirs for now.

12. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks everybody for the responses---I think we're convinced that she should get the 723!

Now for the really tough question--WHAT COLOR?!?!:D

13. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I looked at the title of the thread and thought it was blood sugars! Lol, feel silly now. ;)