- advertisement -

504s--a bit long

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twolittleladybugs, Jun 10, 2009.

1. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Can any of you give me examples of how you have accommodations for standardized testing (and testing in general) worded in your 504s? Emily will start testing next year. I believe it is computerized, so I need to find out more details about being able to stop if she's low/high and come back to it. This year's teacher was absolutely wonderful about everything, but she didn't really have any tests this year, other than spelling and some really easy and short reading and math tests. The teachers for 2nd grade seem very nice, but don't seem to have a clue about diabetes and seem a bit more stuck in their ways. I think I'm going to have to do some educating as far as making sure they truly comprehend why she is not to be taking tests while low/high, can stop to treat, and other things.

They also balked at us bringing up the possibility of Emily testing in class at some point this year. They seem to think it'll be a distraction, and I think they're nervous about the responsibility (although we wouldn't count on them to help--she would call us from the teacher's phone with questions). The 1st grade teacher stuck up for us and told them the other kids might get distracted for a week, but the kids wouldn't even notice after awhile. I didn't get into the fact that if we want her to, the law says she can test anywhere. How old were your kids when they started testing and treating independently in class? Emily's 7, going into 2nd grade, and has had D since she was 2. She tests and treats by herself at home without any mistakes (when we ask her to). The reason we're thinking about it for next year is that she's missed a ton of class from going to the nurse's office and we've had some bad luck with random people "helping" her. Also, the nurse keeps bringing up putting the responsibility of Emily keeping track of testing times by herself. We still feel that if it's up to her, then if she forgets there won't be anyone backing her up because they won't remember--they'll be too used to relying on her. Plus, she can't wear a watch because she gets very bad excema and we've tried her pump alarm but it's not loud enough for her to hear in class. I think she just wants to take that responsibility off the teacher, but if the adults have trouble remembering, how's a 7-year-old going to do? I need to explain to her that remembering snack times is a differet skill than being able to test independently.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. We're just trying to get everything figured out before we meet in the fall.

Kelly

2. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

Kelly - my daughter Kaylie is 9 and just finishing 3rd grade. She has tested in the classroom since kindergarten. She tests before recess/snack and before lunch and calls me to help calculate carbs and insulin dose. Kaylie is really responsible and has only forgotten a few times - usually there was an assembly or something going on. Her teachers have been great about making sure she tests. It is a distraction at the beginning of the year, but once the kids get used to it everything is fine.

Regarding testing, Kaylie usually doesn't check before math or spelling but occassionally if she's been high she doesn't do as well as normal. I've talked to the teacher about making sure Kaylie checks her finger before taking these tests. Her 504 says she cannot take a test if she is less than 80 or more than 250. One day during Standardized testing she had high numbers and she ended up taking the test in a conference room once her numbers were in range.

Kaylie's 504 also states that she cannot be disciplined until she has checked her finger. If she is between 80 - 250 they can discipline otherwise they have to call and speak to a parent first.

Once the 504 is written it can be adjusted, so you can always make changes later if the school agrees.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby is allowed to test anywhere on campus/anytime she feels it is neccessary. She will let her teacher know if she needs to be treated, then the nurse comes to her to avoid missing out on class time. We are spoiled in this respect!

Here's what we have for standardized testing:
    Standardized Testing:
    Abby must have her blood glucose checked prior to testing if it is outside of her normal blood glucose testing times.
    If Abby?s blood glucose level (either high or low below 80 or above 220) is at a level that will affect her cognitive skills, she will be allowed to retake the test at a later time without penalty.

Abby will be allowed water and bathroom breaks (if needed) during testing time.

Abby will be allowed to have her blood glucose tested and will be allowed to stop and treat symptoms if necessary.

Abby will be allowed to have unlimited testing time in the event her blood glucose levels compromise her cognitive skills.

For general testing, her teacher notes her bg on the test. If she is high/low and it reflects it in her responses, her teacher will allow her to retest. Now, it takes a special teacher to notice if it is the bg's that are responsible for the mistakes, or just the student not grasping the concept. We've been with our current teacher 2 years (we loop) and she knows her students inside and out.