- advertisement -

504 vs IEP? Anyone know? I sure don't..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Sep 2, 2010.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

OK so I was just at the school and ran into my son's speach teacher who mentioned that it's time for his yearly IEP meeting. I mentioned the 504 meeting scheduled for next week and she took me into the principal to have her explain that in our school district we can have only one or the other, not both. She tells me that he would actually have more rights under the IEP. I told them I wanted to research before I agree to that. This principal has been so accomodating and nice so far. I don't think she'd purposely give me misinformation. But still. This is new to me and I don't want to do anything that would not work to my boy's benefit. Any thoughts? I'm sure most of you already know better than I do (I don't).:confused:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

She's telling the truth ;)

An IEP will include the 504 accommodations as well as the broader educational planning that goes above and beyond the provisions of a 504.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

She's right.
    IEP covers not only the education, but all things you need in a 504.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

ADA told us this the other night. If you have an IEP, you are also covered under 504, there is no need for 2 different documents.

5. MamaBear

Thanks you guys for your responses. I am reading online about it too. I feel like all this info being tossed at me all at once is so much sometimes. And seeing some other people's posts about their children's schools not being cooperative and saying things should be one way when the law says another well .. it scared me.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes - put your diabetes accommodations in the IEP - and if your child no longer needs an IEP and is removed - ask them to hold a 504 meeting.

Sounds like you have a great school!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

She's telling you the truth.. you can have all your 504 stuff right in the IEP.

8. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Sorry for sounding silly, but what is an IEP?

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Individualized Education Plan. :)

10. MamaBear

The principal and speach teacher said the same thing. Speach teacher feels he may be ready to stop speach therapy by next school year. So they said when that time comes we can have a 504 meeting. Principal also gave me a post it with the name and number of the person in the school district who is in charge of the major decision making with 504s and IEPs and said I could speak with her. Also said "she is also who you want to call if you feel we are not helping you or we are doing something wrong." I think that says alot about our principal. I'm glad to have her. Our old principal was awful on several levels and I always figured it's because she has no children,so she just doesn't get a parent's pov. This principal has been with us going on 3 years and I love her. She's also a mom and she is VERY good about communicating with the parents. I really really appreciate her!

I also found out this afternoon from a neighbor on the PTA, that the PTA wants to get a hold of me to help with a project. They do a school walk-a-thon every year to raise money to donate to one charity or another. One of the other PTA moms mentioned me and that started a discussion about my son. So they have decided that the walk-a-thon money will be donated towards juvenile diabetes research. :cwds:

Yes we DO have a great school! :)