- advertisement -

504 type accommodations for SAT for kids in private schools

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Mar 1, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If private schools can not have 504 plans for diabetics, what can they do to be able to get breaks during the test? I have a friend that has a daughter that has a 504 and she will get breaks for diabetic reasons that will not take him time off the test.

2. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Just make sure you do them well in advance of the test. They are very particular about deadlines. We tried to get them done, but were too late. Fortunately, all went well and Mol didn't need any extra time for testing or treating.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son goes to a private school, but I have written accommodations for my son that are identical to the language of a 504. The counselor used my documentation when she applied for the clock to stop for diabetes related issues. It wasn't a problem at all -- we had them within a couple of weeks.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Carol, because the SAT is not 'owned' by the private institution their rules don't exist. SAT rules exist. So it should be no problem to get accommodations. :) Even though it is many years off still for Ian I was exploring it all when my oldest was running through SATs last year.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

One thing with 504 plans and private schools is that if the school is receiving federal and/or state funds of any kind then you can ask for a 504 plans. This of course doesn't apply to church or other religious affiliated schools.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Thanks, I am a few years out I think. But, I want to make sure if I need to anything now I will.

Thanks everyone I will print this thread:cwds: