- advertisement -

504 Request, no response

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Aug 5, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

We sent in a 504 request to Samantha's school, and I CC'd the superintendant and another person I saw suggested on a sample 504 request. it's been over 2 weeks and I have not heard anything in reply. School starts August 18th. I tried calling the school several times and there was no answer so I assumed they were out of the office. I will try again today. What other steps should I take if I get no response again?

Also, personality question, anyone have a hard time with the 504? I am so not confrontational and so I feel funny typing out my list of demands. Of course for my baby I'll do anything and I am, but curious if anyone else had to battle with their own personality while doing this? An opportunity to grow I suppose.

Thanks in advance,

Elizabeth

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

It is possible they won't schedule the meeting until school starts and the teachers are back in the building. Usually a "team" meets which includes the teacher and several others - I think logistically they have more trouble getting any schedules made until school starts.

You will need to have her medical plan (doctor's orders) to the school by the time school starts - so they will be able to draw up a treatment plan (our school takes this info the week before school starts).

If you haven't heard back by the first day of school - I would drop off a 2nd letter to the principal - note that you sent the first request on X date and you would like them to schedule a 504 eligibility meeting at their earliest opportunity and let you know the date.

I suggest that you not present to them a sample 504 until they determine eligibility - and then you can present your sample plan. Eligibility should be determined first -at the meeting - then discuss the plan and come to agreement on that. Otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse.

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Be sure you emailed the right person - there is someone who handles all the 504s for our school - not the principal. She just called me today to setup a meeting next week...this was her first few days back in the office....officially she starts on Monday.

I will meet with her, the teacher, and the nurse.

4. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

I had trouble getting a 504 and learned a lot in the process.

Does your school district have an Educational Equity Compliance office? If so, and you do not get a timely response to a second letter requesting a 504 evaluation meeting, you may want to contact the educational equity compliance people for guidance. They were extremely helpful in my situation both in expediting things and in helping educate the school about interpretation of the 504 law.

As for personality...I don't like confrontation either but I also get very upset when I feel my daughter is being mistreated so it makes for a very uncomfortable internal dialogue. However, what helped me was to try to go in with a "this is business" mentality and be polite but firm. I made my requests (I did not like thinking of them as demands) and for those that were declined with reasons that made sense to me I acquiesced and when the reasons did not make sense I pushed for a better solution. I also took my sister with me to the meeting to help ensure that I had a cool second head to ask questions I might miss and remember points I might forget.

Best of luck.

5. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Elizabeth,
    What school district are you dealing with?

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our meeting generally doesn't start until the 2nd or 3rd day of school. I email and let them know I need it and would like it taken care of by X date. They have always complied. It is usually just too crazy to have it done before school starts (ie. week prior).

I do have everything ready to go (doc orders and 504), and I do meet with her teacher the day prior to school. The nurses pop in on this meeting and offer any additional info that may pertain to certain situations.

I would email the school, or call DOE in your town to find out who the 504 coordinator is, and if they happen to be working summer hours. You may find you will get best results the week prior to start, when everyone is back in.

7. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

Thanks for the replies. I thought everything I had read said to make sure the 504 was in place before school started. I'm not stressing too much right now because she is honeymooning and her needs are not a lot, but with D that can change at any time and so I want to have something in place. I am ok if it happens a day or two into the school year. I just wanted to have my ducks in a row. :cwds:

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Just realize that it might not happen even that quickly. Frankly, for us, it was easier to get a temporary medical plan in place for the start of school, tweak it as we saw how things went, and then do the 504. I think we had the 504 meeting in late September, and then met again a couple of weeks later to finalize it.

Most schools will definitely not do the meeting before the beginning of the year. That is not unusual in the least.

9. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Here, we had to have a health care plan in place until we could work out the kinks of the 504 We ended up havig to get a lawyer and it didn't get sorted out until jan/feb.