- advertisement -

504 question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandy092570, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

I went to school and they said that IP meeting took place over a 504 i dont feel like i got to express my concerns are inform the new teacher of my son condition all we talked about was speech in the IP meeting not about diabetes are related issues I kind of feel like i am not getting treated serious about my son conditon and i want to talk what should I do?

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

IEPs over 504s

IEPs do hold more weight and are used in place of 504s. However, you should have discussed diabetes in your IEP meeting. Call your special education coordinator OR go above their head to the district if you can't get any response and request a "SPECIAL REVIEW" of the IEP. (This is the education terminology).

Everything with diabetes should be documented on the IEP. At the special review meeting make sure you have a letter of diagnosis from your ENDO and put in everything you need in writing. If your child only has one teacher, they should be present at the meeting. (Government requires ONE regular teacher at IEP meeting). If your child has more than one teacher, you might consider meeting with them as part of a separate parent conference.

I haven't ever done an IEP for my child, but I am a teacher so I sit in on a lot of IEP meetings.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

everything that you can put in a 504 can go in an IEP but not everything in an IEP can go into a 504..if that makes sense. So if the school is offering an IEP then take it. They will probably also want to do a "health plan" for the diabetes, and that is fine, but make sure that it's documented in your IEP, and that your IEP says something along the lines of "diabetes accommodations as per health plan".