- advertisement -

504 question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Aug 14, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hi all,
    We are having my son's 504 meeting tomorrow. Just wondering what does your plan say regarding Emergency situations at the school such as evacuations, lock downs and fire drills? Is this even something that should be on the 504?

My son is entering Middle School and this is something that I did not include on my plan last year because we were so new at this and it was the end of the school year.

One more question for the parents of kids in the Middle school or HS. How do you handle field trips? Last year I had it stated that I would be allowed to attend them with my son if not available the school nurse would go. Which is great, except now he is feeling that he will be embarassed if mom has to go on a trip and our Middle school only has one nurse - last year we had 2 and it was not a big deal for one of them to leave the school while the other stayed at school...

Any advice you can give is appreciated!! Thanks.

2. catgalla

catgalla Approved members

There is nothing in my sons 504 about fire drills or anything. You can however have him carry his own stuff, like a meter, candy etc. They have binders that will fit everything. There was another thread that stated someone's child carried one of those and they zip to close.

As far as field trips, what about educating the teacher?

3. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

There is nothing in my son's 504 about fire drills/lockdowns, but he is a senior who carries all of his own supplies with him. (We do give the nurse an emergency supply of insuling/glucagon/fast acting carbs.) Most of the field trips he went on were music dept related. I will usually go to any offsite performances (as we did pre-D). When they go on their multi-day spring trip, they have a parent volunteer who serves as the trip nurse. We're lucky that our music booster president is a registered nurse and a paramedic who has some training in D care. :)

4. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

This is from Connor's 504 Plan, if it helps you.

11. EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND SHELTER-IN-PLACE

11.1 In the event of emergency evacuation or shelter-in-place situation, the student’s 504 Plan and DIHP will remain in full force and effect.

11.2 The school nurse or TDP will provide diabetes care to the student as outlined by this Plan and the student’s DIHP, will be responsible for transporting the student’s diabetes supplies, and equipment, will attempt to establish contact with the student’s parents/guardians and provide updates, and will and receive information from parents/guardians regarding the student’s diabetes care.

11.3 There is a diabetic kit in the classroom for emergency shelter-in-place situations.

8. FIELD TRIPS

8.1 The student will be permitted to participate in all school-sponsored field trips without restriction and with all of the accommodations and modifications, including necessary supervision by identified school personnel, set out in this Plan. The student’s parent/guardian will not be required to accompany the student on field trips or any other school activity.

8.2 The school nurse or TDP will be available on site at all school-sponsored field trips and will provide all usual aspects of diabetes care (including, but not limited to, blood glucose monitoring, responding to hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, providing snacks and access to water and the bathroom, and administering insulin and glucagon), and will make sure that the student’s diabetes supplies travel with the student.

5. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you! This is very helpful :)

6. momandwifeoftype1s

7. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

:D Cuz knowledge is power!! (LOL) now you have me singing along :p

8. momandwifeoftype1s

9. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

:( My work has that site blocked for some unknown reason...I will check it out when I get home....Thanks again for making me :)

10. momandwifeoftype1s

It's the Pinball Song, you know... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12eeeeelve one!

11. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

OOOOh Darn! Good thing I can't go there....It's bad enough that I am singing schoolhouse rock now! :rolleyes:

12. trisha

trisha Approved members

I just got home from my son's 504 meeting. All went pretty well. Thanks to Pauline and I discussing lock downs and fire drills previously, I did bring this up in the meeting. I had already requested Patch's supplies be with him at all times. I think now after reading the way Connor's Mom worded the nurse or TDP be responsible for the "d kit", I need to call the school and make that adjustment. If my son remembers to bring his supplies with him during a FD or LD....great. But, considering everything....the committee was VERY agreeable to everything I brought up. The chairperson even recommended that if my son was experiencing a low, the school nurse was to be brought to my son, not have my son go find her. The chairperson happens to be diabetic. Luckily, the school my son attends has two nurses on staff. Field trips aren't usually a problem. And besides, I love to go on field trips. My son still "allows me" to go.....as long as I don't make him sit with me on the bus! Now, the second part of my meeting was a different story, my daughter is dyslexic.....that is a whole different story......

13. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hey Trish,
    Glad it went well, and that I could be of help! Sounds like you are pretty much set with Patch. You're lucky that Patch still allows you to go on trips :) Hope things get figured out for your daughter quickly