- advertisement -

504 question

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by cadesmom, Jun 2, 2008.

1. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

We have a 504 for our son Cade, it's about 6 page's long and very detailed.
    When the school year start's in the fall their are some thing's listed in it that the director of nurse's is trying to say we can't do, sooooo my question is, When you write a 504 can someone come along and say we can't allow that anymore?

2. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

They would have to have a really good reason as to why and back it up with paperwork, law, etc. Ask her to back her statements with proof.

In Michigan for example any and all students are allowed to carry all diabetic supplies until it is proven that they are to irresponsible to do so. This is of coarse based on maturity level I'm sure.

Tami

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Yeah, basically what would happen is somebody will refuse to sign the document, and occasionally others will do the same. What you do is "tape" the meeting, and if you don't agree with it-refuse to sign it! If there is too much disagreement at the meeting, you have another 504 meeting and listen to the tape to hear their side of the story. Use the tape as a method to plan out justify your reasoning to reverse any strong disagreement present. You can also use the tape as "proof" against the school, too, if you have to file a complaint with the office of civil rights.

Read this-it's good (there's more stuff like this on wrightslaw): http://www.wrightslaw.com/heath/sec504.medical.ocr.complaint.htm

This regards a portion of the 504 (that you should already have)

"The Medical Management Plan outlines the student's specific medical needs as determined by his/her health care team. Describe every situation that has come up, or is likely to come up. Make sure you frame the issues in terms of medical need or disability. Ask your son's primary doctor to sign the Medical Management Plan.

Deliver the plan to the school nurse and provide copies to his teachers and the principal. This ensures that school personnel have accurate information about his medical condition and needs.

After you take these steps and provide the school with the Medical Management Plan, it will be up to the school to make their case for a lesser 504 Plan. This will be hard to do after the child's doctor signed off on your plan."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

Thank's for the info, the director of nurse's is putting together, a guide for all the nurse's in our district to follow, and rumor has it that she will not allow in class testing, strips to go in the trash, insulin pen's in the classroom, and other thing's that I already have in my 504, most of the thing's she is tring to do is agaist the law, but alot of parent' don't know what the law is or that is one that exists.

5. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

6. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

I have been trying to set a meeting at my school to discuss her 504 plan. We have a rough copy started and I am fine tuning. WE are newly dx (july 22,08) and she is going into 2nd grade. We have some rapport at the school already. The school year starts on the 25th and the teachers are not avail until the 21 or 22nd. If we do not come to an agreement - shoud I NOT send her to school? Or until one is come to. I am really nervous about sending her being that she is so new to all this.
    We are in WV - BTW, and as I understand - most schools in our county are pretty good about accomodating.

Do you all recommend have a VERY detailed 504? Would anyone be willing to share a copy for me to review. I am going over the outline of the sample one - but I am getting somewhat overwhelmed. If not, would anyone be willing to PM me and review what I have done so far?

Thanks
    Vicki