- advertisement -

504 Plans in NYC Public Schools

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Lisa, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Hi all. My name is Lisa. I am searching for families in New York City with children who have Type 1 Diabetes. I am trying to find out if the public schools educate the parents about their rights to have an accommodation plan in place in school.

Anyone with some information can contact me here or by email: henhousepress@aol.com

Thanks so much!:p

2. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

From what I have learned is that most school districts around the country aren't educated enough about 504 and diabetes to educate anybody. It seems to fall on the parents of a diabetic child to inform the school of what they are required to do. There are a few school districts that have T1 kids and have proper 504's in place and no how to handle it but that doesn't seem the norm.

If your school has not offered you a 504 you need to request that a meeting be set up.

you should visit the ADA message board as there is a huge thread that discusses 504's http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=109&tid=1867&webtag=adaparents