- advertisement -

504 Plan

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aprilsdad, Nov 18, 2006.

1. aprilsdad

aprilsdad Approved members

What is a 504 plan and how does it work?:confused:

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is used in the US. From this page: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

Parents can use the 504 law and Rehabiliation Act of 1973 to ensure that, while at school, their children with diabetes can fully participate in all school activities, while at the same time caring for their medical needs. This means that the school cannot refuse to allow a child to be on the honor roll, deny credit to a student whose absenteeism is related to diabetes, refuse to administer medication (a school cannot require parents to waive liability as a condition of giving medicine), and determine sports/extracurricular participation without regard to the student's diabetes

More info on the page.

3. margaret

margaret Approved members

Hey April's Dad, I'm Luke's Mom, we live in Jensen Beach. The school her are in the dark ages in diabetic care. How old is April, and when was she dx'd?

4. aprilsdad

aprilsdad Approved members

April was Dxd 10-27-06 and is 8yrs old.

5. margaret

Check with the school health nurse, regarding a health care plan for April. It should include many factors and the 504 or IEP may list specific accommodations April may need while attending school. This should aid her in receiving the possible school experience. As each child is different, these plans are not a "one size fits all" situation. If that was the case, life would be a lot easier. Margaret

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I highly suggest calling 1-800-DIABETES and asking them to send you their "school discrimination packet." It is free from the American Diabetes Assoc and has a TON of really good info in it that explains the 504 in detail (and how it differs from an IEP) and has a sample 504 in it.

Much of the info is also at the ADA website: http://www.diabetes.org - and looking under the school discrimination section.

It is true that although IMHO all of our type 1 kids in public schools qualify for a 504 plan, some schools are very resistant to putting one into place. The first thing to do is educate yourself (with the materials from the packet is a good start) and then attempt to educate those at your child's school about the 504 (some schools don't seem to write many of them. They may tell you that LEARNING has to be affected to get a 504 but that is not true - learning has to be affected to get an IEP but not a 504). Then request a 504 eligibility meeting for your child in writing and take it from there.

Hopefully that is enough info to get you started!:)

7. tymaxtess

tymaxtess Approved members

I have to jump in and say how lucky I feel. The principal of our elementary school has a son with Type 1 and the entire community is now so aware and easy to work with. If Tessa does have diabetes, I am not worried about school cooperating at all! However, are there any laws that can help with daycare? Right now she goes to daycare in the afternoon because 4K is only until 10:30 am each day.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

The ADA site I referenced also has info on daycares and federal laws. I think for the most part daycares have to do bgl checks but results have been mixed when it comes to giving insulin...many places won't and there doesn't seem to be any law that requires them to give it.

9. margaret

Hi Carol, I wish we were an example of a success story regarding the ADA advocacy you mention all the time. Remember us, BTDT and have endured enough ignorance for all of us. Last time I checked Advocacy did not = ignorance! Margaret