- advertisement -

504 Plan & Health Care Plan

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momto3, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Hi there,

I probably should know the answer to this question. I am getting ready for DD's 504 meeting tomorrow. Last year the school nurse told me the health care plan is part of the 504 plan so she didn't want any info about testing and medical items listen in the 504 plan. Instead, she said the 504 should read, "See attached Health Care Plan" because it is part of the 504 Plan. Is this true.

Some things I feel more comfortable having spelled out in the 504 plan as well as the health care plan. Am I way off on this reasoning?

Thanks for your help!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I really think it can go either way. We had a health care plan done before school started and then had a 504 meeting, so the 504 states most of the health care plan, mostly the daily stuff, but then also refers to to the health care plan.

soryy not sure if it helps.

I waned some things in place but wanted to opportunity to see how it played out so that we would only have one meeting for the year.

3. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

There are things about testing, such as where, when, etc that can absolutely be addressed in the 504, as well as where supplies are kept, or if she carries them with her. We talked about things like when to test in relation to PE, keeping snacks in each of her middle school classroom, and also testing arrangements for standardized testing and finals. Those aren't laid out in the health plan, and it's been very helpful to have it detailed in the 504.

Hope that helps. I am exhausted and thinking a bit less than straight tonight. :)

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We did it the other way around. Her MMP or "health care plan" included things like how to treat lows and how she would dose for a bolus, but her 504 insluded how we all could make her school life fit in with her D life. Here's a copy from a few years ago. Note that it is an addendum to the 504 plan generated during our team meeting.

Addendum to Maddie SXXXX?s 504 Plan for management of Diabetes at School -- 8/26/08

1. Maddie will test and treat her blood glucose (bg) in the classroom and at any location in the school, at any time, as needed.
    2. Maddie will have unlimited access to the school Nurse.
    3. Maddie will be permitted bg raising juice/snacks at any time or place deemed necessary by her bg test, and or her feeling unwell.
    4. Maddie will have unlimited access to the bathroom at all times
    5. Maddie will have unlimited access to water at all times
    6. Maddie will be permitted to participate in all activities and field trips.
    7. Maddie will not be denied food by any parent, teacher, or staff member, if food is provided to the class as a whole.
    8. Maddie is permitted to carry her cell phone at school
    9. Maddie will always test her bg prior to taking either a standardized or grade impacting exam, and be permitted to delay testing until bg has reached range.
    10. All substitute teachers will be made aware, in advance of the start of the school day, of Maddie?s health concerns and provided the Sub Sheet, (attachment D)
    11. This list is not absolute and may be amended as the year progresses.

Maddie?s parents will:
    1. Make every effort to get Maddie to school with bg within range
    2. Will provide all supplies needed to manage Maddie?s health at school
    3. Will make themselves available to the greatest extent possible for field trips
    4. Will meet with teachers and/or staff who request additional information or clarity of procedure
    5. This list is not absolute and may be amended as the year progresses.

Maddie will:
    1. Be attentive to her body and respond accordingly to the extent she is able
    2. Be responsible for her D bag and it?s content
    3. This list is not absolute and may be amended as the year progresses.