advertisement

504 plan for type 2?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by tonnia, Sep 11, 2013.

1. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

Does anyone have a 504 for their type 2? How does it differ from the type 1? I have a type 2 that has some issues. He goes low quickly. He was taking PO meds for type 2 but had to stop due to low BG. Now he doesn't take any meds but continues to go low??? The doctor still has him dx as type 2 and he goes back to the Endo every three months for his check up.

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Section 504 does not specify the "type" of diabetes, only that it qualifies as a disability under the law. I would think you could use the same template/form used for T1 & just modify it. All plans are supposed to be individualized to meet the student's needs so it shouldn't be too difficult.

"This Model 504 Plan envisions a child with type 1 diabetes who takes insulin by injection. Therefore, the plan would have to be modified for a child with type 2 diabetes and especially for a child who does not take insulin, or for a child who uses an insulin pump. "

http://m.diabetes.org/living-with-d...hool/written-care-plans/section-504-plan.html

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Your kiddo is Pumping insulin? I would think that they would be Type 1.

The PO meds while they are a type 2 med can be used in conjuntion with insulin therapy with a Type 1 to reduce insulin resistance that an adolecent may face during puberty.

I would call the endo for clarification on DX

Either way if your child needs an accomidation in school then a 504 is the way to go.

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

Type 2 is explicitly pointed out in the American's with Disabilities Act as not being a disability (I honestly think this is bull), which, if my understanding of how a 504 works is correct, that means you cannot have a 504 plan due to type 2 (which I also think is bull, as an extension of the first part that I think is bull).

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, so it is covered. Type 2 is not considered autoimmune, so it is not.

I would try it anyway, see if the school can accommodate. I would also try talking to the American Diabetes Association to see if they can offer you more accurate and better legal advice on how to navigate a school system with type 2.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Can you provide a link to this? I'd like to take a look at it. Everything I'm finding indicates all types of diabetes can be considered a disability.

Christine

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Actually Type 2 Diabetes is covered under the Americans with Disabilities due to an appeal court ruling in 2009.
    http://www.law.georgetown.edu/archiveada/documents/2RohrOpinion.pdf

It is on a case by case basis though, so while not automatically, if one could prove that it was substantially limiting they are covered.

And I'm pretty sure you can get a 504 plan to address the issue of hypoglycemia during the school day. I would just make sure in the letter sent to ask for a meeting that you state the following:
    1. The Major Life area impacted: Concentration, Eating, etc.
    2. Has history of impairment
    3. Substantially impacting

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

Welp, I have some reading to do, then. The last time I read the ADA was back in 2007, and apparently they've (kinda) updated it to be (hopefully) better.

8. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

thanks for the information. I do need to clear something up. I was thinking faster than typing. The type 2 is a child of a friend. My dd is a type 2. But I will pass all of your information on to my friend. thanks again.

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I know this older but I thought I could give helpful info. My t1 was diagnosed as a t2 first and placed on insulin. I was told on insulin she needed a health plan and a 504 because she could have focus issues and missed class time for treatment.