- advertisement -

504 or no 504? (long read)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Amy C., Sep 30, 2012.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

A much nicer way of saying what I've often heard from my son ;)

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, for me it's that it affects other students. I just can't justify to myself why my son should always get his pick of class and professor, while my daughter will just have to take what is leftover. Yes, let the kid in the wheelchair register first. But my son with diabetes? The kid with celiac? Nah.

Obviously it will be up to him at that point whether he takes particular accommodations or not. All I can do is to encourage him to be thoughtful about it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We never had a 504 in middle or High school, I was told that for some colleges they want to have one from High school on record so I called during his senior yr to the colleges he was considering and they did not need a 504 they only needed letter from doctor confirming diagnosis and any accomodations he would need. They listed the usual needs like place to store insulin(he lives at home but his grandmother lives 5 minutes from campus who keeps extra supplies), ability for food or drink when and where needed to treat lows. Most of his professors allow food anyway only 1 did not and Daniel spoke to him and got permission - he really has never used any accomodations the main reason he registered with diables student services was to have it on record so if by some chance he did get sick and miss class he would not lose his scholarships- his CDE told us register for that reason mainly - the registering early for class is just a bonus.

4. joan

joan Approved members

I cannot agree more. My son has always been told that he can do everything just like everyone else. Diabetes will not hold him back, so why should he be using his diabetes for special treatment. It only makes it look , to the outsider,like diabetes will and does hold him back.

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I didn't have accommodations in college or grad school (except to have my insulin pump documented by my doctor so I could take a prometric test). I can't see the need for early registration either. I'm sure it's a nice perk but the other variables in college such as cafeteria food, erratic social schedule, likely alcohol consumption ect. are MUCH bigger variables than having a 2 hour break between classes.

If anyone should get early registration I think it's the students with children or folks who are having to work to pay for college.

To me college is the start of adult life. I don't expect my employer to grant me a particular schedule just because I have diabetes. Obviously occasionally I need a short break to treat a low, but that's about it. I "make it work" so that I can do my job well.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Okay I see both sides. My child catches every illness since her diagnoses. She has missed 6 days so far this year with the flu and doctor appointments. She will need the accommodations in college so she is not kicked out for attendance. Not everyone is like that so not everyone needs to worry about to many missed days. As for the registration I get it. What if my child's assigned registration time causes her to go low due to the adrenaline rush. She would be delaided registering because of diabetes. Kids without diabetes get that same rush, but won't be delaided. If you take the stres out of registration then my child will stay healthier.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if your child can't handle the stress of normal college registration, they're going to have an awfully hard time with life. Most kids go high with adrenaline rushes, but if your daughter goes low, she should carry tabs, wait a few minutes, and proceed with registing.

I can sort of see the logic in registering early to get classes later in the day, but registering early to avoid the stress of registering later because it might send them low? No.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I would only point out that most college registrations are done online now. No one knows about the accommodation unless told.

(When I think about the lines I stood in, clutching keypunch cards to register for college courses...)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What is "delaided"?

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Absolutely... on behalf of my other children...

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So you must have gone to college around the same time I did, about a century ago...:D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. joan

joan Approved members

I did not mean specifically registering for class, but my son does that second semester while in school with his roommate and discusses the classes he will take with friends. If there is a tough class to get into they might ask how he got in that class and when he said because he has diabetes, it just might not sit well with them. What could they be thinking, these 19 year olds, " wow he must be really sick if he has special priority to classes," or " wow thats unfair using his diabetes to get a class thats so hard to take." I really don't know what they are thinking but I know my son would not want them thinking at all about his diabetes.

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Me too, I literally laughed out loud when I read that...I remember clutching the punch card too! And being completely panicked and overwhelmed and standing in LONG lines.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just remember filling endless bubbles with #2 pencil and hoping. That and the long lines, and 1/2 the people on those long lines smoking ... long, long ago:cool: