advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

504 meeting update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Connor's Mom, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

After weeks of fighting with the school myself and being told that they didn't need to provide the provisions for extra curricular activities/ field trips I contacted the ADA with the help of the wonderful people from here! The ADA helped me by sending an amazing lawyer to sit in in the 504 meeting with me. I expected to need to fight for what I had asked for after the fight I had already been having with them. We sat down and the school immediately restated my main concern and then said..."Well, we're going to do that.". I was momentarily dumbfounded. The lawyer made sure that everything was worded in a way that I was going to get what Connor needs. They did give me an argument over being informed about substitute nurses ( we just had another over dose of insulin given by one on Monday). But, I will be called by the school and informed that there is a sub and then I can call the sub with any concerns. We are still "talking" about the need to supply me with carbohydrate information for the school lunches. If it's not in the 504 then there will be a letter written to support the need for the information attached to the 504. The ADA advocate also help guide me in a direction to have our Endo or CDE write a letter to attach to the Health Care Plan to change the wording of his level of independence with carb counting that would make it necessary for them to give me the information.:D.

I was so amazed at how different the school was with a lawyer present. I felt crazy at first and like I had wasted the lawyer's time because the school acted like I had called this meeting when they had agreed to everything already. I believe they only agreed to change the wording because he was present. I am grateful for all the help I have received from here, the ADA and the lawyer the ADA had contact me!

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you!!!!

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Great job mom!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't be amazed. They realized you are serious and they are going "oh s&*t! she means business. Let's just pretend there was a miscommunication. They are covering their butts.

Glad it went well.

4. L101418

L101418 Approved members

That. Is. So. Awesome!! (happy dance)
    You did it! I'll say it again. YOU did it!!! You have made a difference.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I am thrilled for you! What a great outcome!:D

6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

what is there to talk about? They should give you the information.
    I guess I don't understand why they are being so difficult about it and everything.
    The head lunch person at our school the end of Feb sent home with our son the lunch menu for the month of March along with copies of the labels off of food she was using along with a copy of the book that she orders a bulk of her food from that has the carbs listed per serving. She also has called me on mornings where there has been a change in the lunch menu and then did the same thing the end of March for April and then called me after Easter break to let me know the freezers went out over break and the lunch menu for April had been scratched until she could get the freezers replaced and restocked so we kinda guessed at things for the last couple weeks.
    They have been very accomodating when it comes to adding a peanut butter sandwich to go long with the lunch if there are not enough carbs in the lunch that day for him.

7. Connor's Mom

I would love to have that kind of lunch room help!

I am just glad things went as well as they did.

The school's lawyer said that because Connor's health care plan says he only needs supervision with carb counting, they don't need to give me the information. He can adjust things himself if his lunch needs adjusting. I explained that he's 10, he needs to know what the carbs are to adjust them and he would need someone to check his calculation. When he's hungry, math is not first in his head. My lawyer said it would be ok and he would write a letter to be attached to the plan if they don't put it in the 504.

8. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I looked at the pages she sent home and the fruits and vegatables came from this site - http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/schfacts/default.htm
    and she said for the elementary school they get a 3oz serving size
    the main dishes and deserts came for the nutrition site of the company she orders from which is sysco - i tried to pull up a couple of the pages but need a user id and password :(

I guess we are lucky here as we live in a rural area where I know the lunch lady personally, along with the school secretary (she was the secretary at the school I went to) and most of the staff too.

9. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

our school district has a district-wide nutrition guide with carb counts and other nutritional values for each daily lunch item.Its unfortunate to hear that its not that way at all schools.

10. Connor's Mom

We are a K-12 school in a rural area. The cafeteria manager lives around the corner from me and sees my kids all the time. She still "doesn't want to be responsible." which I don't understand. I am not asking her to count his carbs, just give me the information form me to do it myself. I send in fruit for him because the cafeteria has told me that they "sometimes" put sugar on the fruit to get the kids to eat it.

Our school couldn't give you the nutritional information for a complete lunch. They cite being a small school they do not have the money to hire someone to calculate that for everything. They say because we are small we are fortunate enough to still make most of our meals from scratch and because of that, the carbohydrate value wouldn't be the same any way.

It's not worth another fight this close to the end of the year. I will continue to address it next year and the next until they comply.

11. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

What a challange!

"put SUGAR on their fruit" I am speechless. I actually wanted to type a foul word! NOw I want to rant! Way wrong even without factoring in diabetes.

12. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Just...WOW.

Just...LAZY.

13. Connor's Mom

I agree...lazy.

Thanks for the kind words and support!

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know someone who had this same problem. She contacted the head of food services and explained her dilemma. The food service director told her about the same thing...but that she was welcome to come in and get a list of the things they had and together they could try and figure out as close to possible the carb counts. So by reaching out to this person in a friendly manner, it was much more effective.

Oops...just saw the the comment about sugar. YIKES!

15. Connor's Mom

I have some of the pre packaged information(thanks to a great nurse). The manager doesn't want to be responsible if the package is wrong or if they substitute a different item. It's crazy. I only asked for the school to provide me the information for unspecified items on the menu...like dessert or potato. I said if they could just let me know what the items are it would be helpful. The school is sticking with the "He only needs supervision counting carbs so, YOU don't need that information.". Again, the lawyer said not to worry so, I am holding onto that in faith that it will work out.

I have not always raised a fuss. I started out 3 years ago very calm and peaceful. It has taken several bad incidents to change my attitude toward things. My son deserves the same school experience that every other student does. To achieve that, he needs certain accommodations. It's my job to make sure they are provided and followed. We are on the right track now and it is a good feeling.