- advertisement -

504 for SAT's

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, May 20, 2013.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We are going to request a 504 for the first time this fall (10th grade) because of accommodations that might be needed for the PSAT's. What are all the things we should ask for? So far on my list are time extensions for testing, eating, and waiting for a low BG to recover. Is there anything else I should add to the list?

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You can go directly through the testing agency and they will allow the accommodations. We're not in school but had full accommodations through College Board itself. Once you get approval from them it's good for every test they administer in the future. Hopefully someone with a kid in school will chime in on how a 504 ties in, we didn't have one.

You need to specify that she is allowed her meter, pump, and CGM with her, they have very strict rules about electronics.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

You may not be able to get time extension ie: more time, what Hanna got was a "stop the clock" so she could test and treat. You also want specific permission to carry her meter and juice boxes.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Water/rest room breaks?

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

this is what I got, and it worked fine. You definitely want to go through college board cause there the ones that make all the rules for the testing. Good news is you'll only have to do it once, no matter how many tests your dd takes. Also, know that getting the accommodation from college board can take like three months (I had to delay take the SATs because I didn't do it in time)

I found that the people were VERY nice, they were always asking if I was okay and if I needed to take a break (Your dd will have to take the test in a room with just her and a teacher so that if she has to stop she's not distracting anyone).

Here's a list of the things I got permission to have with me-
    Meter
    pump
    cgm
    low sugar
    snacks

MAKE SURE you get permission for the pump/cgm because if they thinks its a phone then they might not let her take the test (as ridiculous as that is)

Also, once I got there I talked to my proctor (is that the right word?) just to make sure we were on the same page. No one had told her why I needed accommodation, so I explained what each of my devices were (briefly) and that I probably wouldn't need to stop, but if my bg went low I'd let her know.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would call the SSD section of the college board to get the exact wording you need. Include this in the 504.

Initially, I wanted my son to be able to stop and treat as necessary. If he were low, I wanted the clock to stop, he test and treat and wait until he was in range. When I called them, the terminology to use at that time was Breaks as needed. This means your daughter will be in a separate room and may need to go to a site that can provide her own proctor. I think I included he could have food and his diabetes equipment with him.

Once you figure out the words to use, get the college coordinator or counselor to make the request. I knew this was coming and had it in place when my son was a freshman.

My son took the PSAT, one SAT test without this accommodation. He took 2 AP tests and one SAT with it. Ultimately, my son decided he didn't like testing in a room by himself and took the remaining AP tests without.

By then, we had figured out how to keep his sugar in range during a test.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The proctor is never told why the accommodations. It was nice of you to explain, but you weren't required to do so.

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

You don't need a 504 to get SAT accommodations. The 504 is with the school. SAT's are run by a third party company. We got the SAT accommodations first then the 504. It does take a little time so it's good to get the ball rolling. The school counselors are the ones who submit the information.

Also note that the ACT test is run by a separate company so if you're thinking of taking that too you'll need to submit to them as well. SAT covers the SAT, PSAT and the AP tests.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You may want "stop the clock" accommodations for any testing or correcting. I doubt you want or need the time and a half extensions.

College board determines the accommodations so you really don't even have to have a 504 unless you want one.

The PSAT doesn't matter until 11th grade so if she is taking it in 10th you will get a trial run for the accommodations to see if you need to add anything.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Thank you, this is very helpful. I didn't even think to call the college board.

11. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Watch your deadline for applying because if this is for this fall testing (2013) you can't wait till August as the paperwork is due early August usually before anyone is at most schools to help.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The advantage of going through college board is that you'll get an ID number that you then just plug in for subsequent tests and they'll already know the accomodations and will be prepared.

It's a rather lengthy process though so start now.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our school counselor did it for us but we also got a letter directly from the college board with the number. Then when we later signed her up for the SAT's and the AP Tests there was a place to just plug that number in.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It was a good reminder for me as well ;)

15. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

Once you get it approved through College Board it will apply to PSAT, SAT and AP tests.

It is awesome you are thinking ahead.

Jen

16. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Is Leah taking APs next year? Because you are probably going to want accommodations for those as well. My main concern is that if you want extended time for APs but have 2 on the same day there will not be a break in between exams. I know I had 3 AP exams one day in 11th grade and was not able to get anything to eat other then glucose tabs from 8 am until after 4 or 5 and that was without any extended time. There is really no way to start an AP exam earlier or later.

This is the schedule for 2014 APs:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/ap/about/dates/next-year

I would look at it and see if Leah will have more then one exam on the same day. If so I would work with the school as early as possible for her to arrange to take one in the late testing period. That process can take quite awhile since the school has to arrange the test with college board and get special permission to offer it.

17. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I know, I was just saying it's a good idea... my proctor didn't even know what accommodation I was supposed to have

18. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

My 504 helped mainly in that the IEP/504 Coordinator filled out my paperwork once requested. Most likely you won't be able to receive extended time for diabetes, generally they require some psychoeducational testing or a comparison of grades with and without extended time test. I would look more at stop time, extended break, Food, insulin pump, and meter. I don't think they do restroom breaks as an accommodation, at least I never have heard of that. There would be too many issues with test security.

The 504 does help because it does leave a paper trail, but for diabetes I don't think it is needed.

I had accommodations for AP testing and SATs. I had extra time (other issues), extended break, food, meter, and snacks. I was in a room with 6 other teens, so it wasnt that bad. Extra time on SATs equal a 6.5 hour test and that was the only negative. They do give you breaks, so also that time can be used for eating. I also took IB testing without accommodations.

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Thank you this is very helpful!

20. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I agree with the others that you will want a "stop the clock" not extended time. We went through this with state testing just last month. Extended time will only add a certain # of minutes, which may or may not be enough time to recover from a high/low. Stop the clock allows her as long as she needs to recover and then finish the test.