- advertisement -

504 for homeschooling

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gwyn, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

We belong to a home school assistance program through our district that offers extracurriculars (drama, pe etc). After 5 years of trying, we were finally able to get a 504 plan to cover these activities. It will also apply to standardized testing which is offered through the program.

Program directors were given training on basic diabetes care--along with training for other conditions like asthma--and given instructions for contacting a nurse from one of the public school buildings for help/emergencies.

Just wanted to let people know that it can be done.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm curious, how big is this program? I go to a home school coop where I take a few classes once a week and do a few extra things with (field trips/plays) but moms have to stay and I'm pretty independent with my care so I've never felt the need for a 504 there... is this program drop off? sorry just curious=)

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Thank you for sharing!

4. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I believe there are about 100 children enrolled with most activities including parents, but there are a number of drop off activities as well and a few instances where parents are not allowed to be with the kids (like standardized testing).

I just like the fact that the program leaders now have had some training and have given some prior thought on what to do in case of emergencies.:)