- advertisement -

504 for home educators?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by theamusingredhead, Mar 8, 2012.

1. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

Does anyone here have a 504 for a child they home educate?
    I am thinking that it would be needed for testing situations.

Thank you for reading,

Kariann

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Would the testing situations be during the child's school years for state tests they are going to go up to the school and take or are you talking about college placement tests like SAT?

If the child will be participating in the public school system in some way I'd think you'd be able to get a 504 plan - or seek one. If you are thinking about placement exams for college - I don't think you could get a 504 if the child wasn't actually enrolled in public school but I'm not 1000% sure on that one.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Tell me more about the regulations to homeschool in your state. Is testing a requirement? How often and who administers the test?

My kids do take standardized testing, but it's not a requirement and I am a certified tester so I give it at home (to my kids plus others too), so I can accomodate as needed.

I didn't apply for anything special until it came to SAT/PSAT and ACT testing, then I did that directly through the college board and ACT board.

If you can explain your state laws wrt homeschooling and the situation you are concerned about, maybe we can help a bit more.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm not understanding either what 504 accomodations you would need? I considered going somewhere to do testing for my daughter this year, but even that location would be a "private" person doing testing for me to meet state needs, so its not really an environment where a 504 applies. I chose instead to do testing myself so that I can plan accordingly for my daughter if I need to.

5. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

We have some homeschools here that are actually public charter schools. Kids are enrolled in the charter school, they receive instruction from parents, the school provides books, materials, etc. (parents choice, no cost) and also has a teacher/coordinator check in with parents on a regular basis. So a 504 would be useful for testing, etc.

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

This is the same in Colorado, and state assessment testing is mandated for all kids, including home schooled children. Even though I am a licensed educator, the state would not allow me to proctor my own children's testing, so they'd either have to go to a recognized charter school, home school co-op, or public school in a setting where a 504 would be helpful if we home schooled. I've been looking into this for my son for a couple years due to his head injury, but neither of my kids is convinced they'll get enough socialization - even though there are tons of co-ops around.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My son is doing home schooling through the school district. He does work online and does worksheets and experiments with me that were assigned by the school district. He and all other students in this program are required to attend state assessment testing. Elementary grades once per year, high school grades twice per year. They do have to go into a district office and test with an administrator from the school district. We were told the 504 he had for his school last year would apply because although he is now learning at home, it is still through the school district.

8. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

I think it would depend on what type of "homeschooling" you are doing. If it is k-12 then yes, a 504 would be suitable. If you are doing all the teaching and just registered with an umbrella school then I don't see the point. We had 504s for each child when they were in public school for various reasons per child.
    As far as SAT/ACT goes...they don't make any special provisions that I know of. I have a friend who has a T1 daughter that took the ACT and she was told that if her pump made a sound she would be asked to leave the testing area.
    ETA: We homeschool all 4 children

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

For both SAT and the ACT my son did have special accomodations. You must apply and be approved well ahead of time.

There are NO electronics (no cell phones specifically, only approved calculators) or food allowed so we applied/approved to have his meter, Dexcom, and snacks/water available at his desk. He chose to stay at his desk vs having extra time. He was actually given a separate room for his SAT, for the ACT he was with the group.

He was asked to put all his electronics on vibrate, which he did do.

If you do NOT apply for special accomodations for these tests, your electronics cannot make noise and you aren't allowed to test or treat highs/lows. He learned that the hard way when he tried to go without accomodations and was high the whole time.

10. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I heard you need have your 504 in place 18mos to 2 years before testing--I was asking about high school testing like SAT/ACT. This info. was from the nurse to school liason (children's hospital).

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

How would that for students with a new diagnosis that doesn't fall in that time frame? That may be somewhat "urban legend."

I do know that we would have had to start the process with ETS a few months prior to the test date if we had pursued accommodations.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

As an FYI, so that you know: the college board allows you to request accommodations for the SAT and AP tests, as does the ACT board. To trick is to make this arrangements ahead of time.

I imagine your friend's daughter walked in and asked for accommodations then, which is too late. The process is quite formalized, but doable.

Accommodations on college entrance exams have been discussed on many threads on this board.

You don't need a 504 to get the accommodations, but it helps.

13. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Actually she had been in contact with them for a period of time leading up to the testing date. I will get more information from her though so I can make sure the information I am passing along is accurate:cwds:

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I can promise you that the college board does approve accomodations for diabetics. It is a formal process where you submit paperwork but once you get approval that approval is good for all tests they take with the college board.

ACT is a different test process, and it was easier but accomodations were approved and respected without incident.

My son has never been in school so has no 504. Also have no guidance counselor so I did all the legwork, it wasn't a huge deal at all to do.

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is a good idea, as both organizations have a process in place that works to accommodate Type 1 diabetes for those in a school and those who homeschool. Both have the information available on their website.

There is no need to alarm other people with inaccurate information.

16. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

Thank you everyone

I am in New York. I can administer the CAT test but I prefer the IOWA which I cannot proctor. I am thinking ahead to the SAT and ACT and concerned as I was at a diabetes support group and heard some horror stories about students having highs and lows not getting extra time unless prior arrangements have been arranged.

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Pre-arrangement is absolutely vital. No on-the-spot accommodations can or will be made.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members