- advertisement -

504 battle -thought this was over!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by spamid, Dec 12, 2011.

1. spamid

spamid Approved members

So I'm going in tomorrow morning to (politely) assert my daughter's accomodations for her 504 in high school.
    Did this at the beginning of the year, thought there were no problems.
    But they are balking on two fronts.

One, the 504 counselor (NOT THE NURSE) wants permission to talk to the endo about her absences (2 related to diabetes at this point).
    Two, my daughter has been willing to check and self treat in class for the first time! YAY!!!!
    But, the counselor says she is REQUIRED to go to the nurse when her sugar is low.

REALLY? Your student handbook, school district policy, and state policy all stipulate the student can carry supplies, check their bg, and self treat,
    the only issue is proving they can (not a problem). And good luck reaching the endo during school hours unless it's a medical emergency and they can't get in touch with me.

Sent a professional, polite email stating all this, with the appropriate policies attached. Should be fun!

Bless you if you've read this far, we are not new to this, we know what the law states, and will not back down. But I hate this stupid disease!!!!!!!

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Kudos for standing your ground!

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Good luck! Sounds like you're prepared. Let us know how it goes.

4. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Supporting you in spirit! I have similar problems in our school. Good luck and kill them with kindness!;)

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

That counselor is over-stepping bounds requesting to speak to the endo herself/himself about sensitive, medical information. Even our school nurse goes through a parent, not the endo.

6. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Agreed. Best of luck to you.

7. spamid

spamid Approved members

UPDATE!!!!!!!

So I LOVE my daughter's endo. The endo returned my call personally about the counselor's request to speak to them. But the endo will only confirm my daughter is a patient, and that students can miss days due to high/low blood sugars/ketones/etc. They won't share anything about her care or private info. So giving them permission to call the endo is okay with me, they won't be getting full access to her medical records. Also, the endo doesn't return non-emergency calls until the end of the office day anyway (after school is out).

They buckled on the other. They do want my daughter to let the nurse know if she experiences a low, but can still self treat first. Added that in writing to the 504. Confirmed # of absences related to diabetes, so all is good. Maybe because they realized I knew exactly which laws applied?

I went in prepared to go full throttle, and it kind of petered out. Glad it's done!

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Glad to see a thread where things worked out in the end. :cwds:

It goes to show how important it is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible and also to keep your cool.

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

happy dance for you and your daughter!

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Doesn't it make you wonder what genius thought a child with a low should go somewhere else (anywhere else) to treat the low instead of treating immediately. What a very not so smart idea.

11. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Good job! The school counselor must think he/she is a doctor and can determine what is appropriate for your child. He/she is so out of line it's unbelievable to me. HIPPA exists for a reason. I'm wondering if his/her employer requires him/her to give full access to his/her medical records when he/she misses work. You made the right move by calling the endo. You could also have the endo issue a letter in regards to time off needed for type 1 diabetes issues if you anticipate any further problems. When I have parents that encountered those problems I have the parent write the letter, have the doctor sign it and give it to the school just to make it easier for everyone. In reference to the in classroom testing; the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that a child take care of their needs on the spot and in the classroom. How this translates is that by denying them the right to do so is to deny them the right to receive immediate medical attention and borders on neglect or abuse depending on which state you are in. You would have to look it up. That usually changes their mind pretty quickly. It makes them liable if something goes wrong and also they are accountable for meeting all of the needs of the child including psychological. It could be considered closeting a child with a disability and discriminatory in the sense that your child would lose class time and not be afforded the opportunity to benefit form the same education equal to that of their peers. I never pull out all of the stops unless I have too. My goal is to have things go smoothly from the get-go. Taking the time to print out credible references is so valuable. Attachments supporting your statements are really valuable as well. Excellent job for standing your ground.

12. Tamara Gamble

13. Tamara Gamble

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Not only is the school counselor bound by HIPPA, she's also bound by FERPA which is basically the ed industry version of HIPPA stating exactly the same boundaries on exchange of info and need to know parameters.

15. Tamara Gamble

Yup! FERPA also.