advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50% of the PODs failed. Is that common?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Manuel, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

Hi there! My son (3 years old) started with Omnipod 2 months ago. Since then we have 10 pod failures with alarm, only 1 was for static. Omnipod have replaced all of them, and give us a new box, but I don't think is the batch.

What's the problem???. We really like the Omnipod, but the constant failure are so frustrating.

The only difference I think we might have is that we put a little more of the minimum of insulin required by the Pod (min: 85U, we put 90-100).
    Could that be the problem?. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

That can not be the problem, as 85U is the minimum, you are supposed to put more insulin into the pod, and lots of users require more than 85U for 3 days. We put about 120u into the pods.

Sorry to hear that you have that much problem. Pod failures are a pain! We have been using the omnipod for over 3 years now, and only experienced a few failures. 10 failures in 2 months is unusual.

I usually do the pod changes for my daughter. The last time we had a failure, my daughter did the pod change herself, so maybe user error? Did they send a proper trainer out to train you guys? I hope you guys can work this out.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

There was a chronic problem with pod failures a year to two ago but I haven't heard anything resembling your experience in a while. I think we've had 1 or 2 pod failures in the past 6 months. I hope you get this worked out soon. Not fun. Good luck!

David

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Are you sure more of them were not caused by static?

I'm not sure where you live but if you have the heat on and it is dry and your son is wearing fleece that could be an issue. I have heard of people rubbing dryer sheets on the pods to deal with static. I had a new blanket I got as a gift that caused a lot of static and I was getting pod failures most nights. I switched back to my old blanket and the problem was solved.

5. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

We had the training, watch official videos, youtube videos. If we are doing something wrong it would be a very specific tricky thing. I don't really know. We are living outside US a bring 6 month in advance. Maybe the the pod on the luggage get damaged by the movement....but is not more movement than have it attached to the body.

I hope is just a bad box.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've had lots of failures. Some were from the roll-out problems, but they've been not infrequent since. One failed recently while priming. I'd pushed the insulin in really fast that time, and I asked the company if that could trigger a fail. They said it could and to push the insulin into the pod slowly.