- advertisement -

50% Basal - stable after 5 hours and 120g carb!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Aug 31, 2010.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this. We have had basal reductions before - but 50% in one night! DD, 13yo, had a lowish carb dinner and (50.4)promptly went low. We have a cgms so we gave juice thinking "oh bolus/basal out of whack - must fix that or make sure we have similar carb count dinner tomorrow". DD kept going low 2.8 (50.4) to 3.3 (59.4) for 5 hours. she had well over 120 grams of carb to keep her there and a 50% basal reduction for the whole time. She is still on 50% and has steadied at 5.4 (97.2). It is 1am here now.

Any ideas? Has anyone encountered this before? Her usual dinner is around 70 grams carb. Is not vomiting, doesn't look ill, no temperature...no unusual exercise today, no stress - happy.....????? Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.. other than the lower carb dinner (and she has had twice the amount of carb - uncovered - that she normally has!

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes! :) We had this just recently. I guess it is hormone stuff causes the shifts. For a week the insulin was needed more then I had several nights and days where I had to back off my 13 yr. old son to .3 per hour!

I am just looking at numbers every three days because it seems to shift back and forth every few days now

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thanks Carol. Yes - we have hormones here! LOL! I will put it down to that!Thank goodness for the cgms! Unbelievable! I couldn't stuff juice/sprite in fast enough! At least we now know it's normal(ish).:) Thanks again.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

We've seen this sort of thing a day or two before DD gets a gastrointestinal illness. Hope you don't see that at your end.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Yes, I've seen this too. Could be hormones along with a basal that usually covers for part of her dinner. Wish I had a better answer.