- advertisement -

5 years ago today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dpr, Feb 2, 2016.

1. dpr

dpr Approved members

5 years ago today at around 6:30pm after an evening clinic appointment we were on our to the hospital for the most profound and humbling life changing event of our lives. I remember on the way there I had promised here doughnuts for the next morning, her favorite treat, and thinking she'll never have another doughnut ever again. It's funny the things you think of.

It's been a tough go as only other diabetic parents can truly understand. Fortunately being diagnosed at 5 years old she doesn't remember not being diabetic. At this point with all the sleepless nights I almost don't remember her not being diabetic. But through out it all we've met so many new people and great friends to thankful for. Diabetes is a very mixed blessing. 99% sucks but that last 1% of good is very very good.

On our 5 year D day I want to thank everyone here on the board for all your help, support and friendship and wish you all good A1C's and great night time basals!

Tonight there will be a dozen doughnuts waiting when she gets home and she can have as many as she wants :smile:

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

A big congratulations to you and your family for kicking Type 1's ugly butt for an entire half-decade! Job well done!!! :triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

3. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

It's good to celebrate in a positive way! Love doughnuts! So glad that you and your family have navigated your way through the landmines of this crazy disease. Hug your kid, tell her you love her and eat a doughnut for me. Wishing you another successful five years! :triumphant:

4. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Good for you guys!! Hope she enjoys her doughnuts :)
    It is weird the things you think of....I was babbling on and on to the doctor about how my daughter really loves going to birthday parties and thinking she'd never have cake again and the doctor was like ummmm she can still go to birthday parties. hahaha! I must have sounded crazy

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

A milestone, to be celebrated! Congratulations to everyone at your end for making it through these 5 years.
    :)

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

5 years is definitely a big milestone! It's the one where you can almost say you've seen it all. It feels like we've seen it all, although I suppose it will never be completely true.

I realized a few days ago that, in a few months, Ds will have lived with diabetes longer than he lived without it. It's a little bittersweet. I'll have to figure the exact day and do something for it.

It's great to have a place where we can celebrate the good and commiserate the bad. I am not close with any other pwd's or parents of cwd, so it's been so important to me to have a way to find support and help.

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

Yep, at 5 years in she's having a basal change just before lunch that's got me pulling my hair out. I'll have it figured out in another day or two but it's been a completely different reaction to her normal changes.

Doughnut holes last night and a 109 gram cinnamon roll for breakfast this morning :smile:

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Congratulations! We hit our 5-year mark in December, and we celebrated with our customary lollypop because that was what I promised to get K at the bank on the way home from dropping the urine sample off at the doctor's office on our fateful day. I, too, fixated on the treat, and I cried for days about how I would never be able to keep that promise. It actually took me a full year to realize that I could give him one, so at his one-year diaversary it was his big treat!