- advertisement -

5 year old DD diagnosed this week......

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Saundersceo, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Saundersceo

Saundersceo New Member

Hi, my name is Shelley from Wisconsin and my daughter was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes this past Tues (8/28/13). She had been having wetting accidents a lot lately and I took her in to rule out a possible urinary tract infection. The UTI was negative, but her sugars were very high and she had keytones. Further tests the next day confirmed the diagnosis. Two days later we sat at Children's hospital trying to take in "education day 1" while still trying to digest the shock of all this. No one in either of the families has any type of Diabetes and I am trying to learn as much as I can, but feel so overwhelmed right now. The anxiety, the tears, the grief are here every minute and I find my life completely taken over by this disease. I found this forum and am looking forward to hearing your experiences, getting some helpful advise, and also some support.

Thanks

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome,

The early days are very tough. It is an emotional roller coaster. What you are feeling is totally normal and most of us here have felt the same way. Just know that in time, you will have a much better perspective on things and you will see that it is possible to fit diabetes into your life and still do all the things you did before.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time", day or night.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Also, I would recommend creating a signature with some basic information about your child (age, type of insulin used, etc). This information will help people give you the best answers for your particular situation. Click on the "User CP" at the top left of the screen. Then click on "Edit Signature" and add the basic information. Then click "Save Signature"."

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Shelley, that sounds very much like my DD's dx story almost 11 years ago.

If it helps, my DD is a happy kid, good student, lots of friends, plays sports and guitar and while living with Type 1 does require forethought and contingency planning, I promise you, your daughter can be the person she would have been without D.:cwds:

Let us know if there is anything specific that's giving you trouble. Generally speaking, folks come home from the hospital with less than the best tools - big painful lancets, syringes that may not be the right size, no good book etc. Lots of knowledge on this forum.;)

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It is perfectly normal to grieve the loss of your former freedoms and to worry about your child's health, but it will get better We are stronger than we think. I called the day DD was diagnosed "the worst day of my life" and that was absolutely not true, though it sure felt like it at the time. It will feel like your life is taken over by diabetes management. I felt totally overwhelmed for about 4 months as I tried to learn all I needed to know and adjust to the new routines. As time goes on, it all becomes "normal" and feels "easier". It will NOT stop you and your family from enjoying your life or doing any of the things you love. As much as diabetes sucks, it has opened up a world for my DD that she would not have experienced otherwise...wonderful diabetes camps and retreats, amazing mentors, a fantastic diabetes community where everyone you meet feels like family, etc. She is sick and tired of managing her diabetes now and would love a cure, but she is glad it came into her life.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome Shelly and sorry for the dx of your little one! It's hard to hear that it gets easier and easier with time right at the beginning...but have strength and try to soldier on until that time when you can say the same!:cwds: I like to say that our kids can do anything (with just a bit more planning). My DD just flew to the Czech Republic for a junior semester abroad in college! She was on the crew team at school, a counselor at a mountain camp this summer and just climbed her first two 14,000 ft. mountains! Please remember to take good care of yourself as well!:cwds: