- advertisement -

5 pods in 7 days. You do the math..........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Jul 8, 2014.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is the box from hell! Of course they're being replaced but still!!! When I called in Number 3 the rep said that if it happens again they'd switch out the rest of the box. When I called in 4 & 5 (they happened within 15 minutes of each other) the rep said that the boxes have mixed lots in them so they don't replace boxes anymore. Huh?? I'm grateful we have excellent insurance that permits us to get extra insulin each month but I hate how much we're wasting. And yes I've tried pulling the insulin out of the new pods that fail but can only get a small amount out. I'm just frustrated as there is just no rhyme or reason to this!!!

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

How frustrating! That's always the point where I would want to stomp on the pods while screaming. So many site changes - two back to back sucks. :( And I've never heard the mixed lots before. Is that even possible? Aren't the boxes labeled with a lot number? I'm too lazy to go look.

Ironically, I decided a few weeks ago to call Insulet and give them a chance to redeem themselves. I called, explained that we had a terrible experience last summer and wanted to see if they had improved. To do so, could they please look up my records and tell me the results of the PDM I sent in for testing. She said they would and that she would call me back because they (her? her manager? someone?) would need to contact engineering. I agreed. They called me yesterday to let me know that I had never gotten a response because I had never sent it in. I took a few deep breaths, assured her that I had and explained that on each and every follow up call I made last year I was told that it had arrived and was in the testing process with engineering. No reults because they didn't even keep my PDM. Or ever do testing on it. Way to investigate that interference issue, Insulet.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

The one rep that said they'd switch out the rest of the box said it's possible the box was dropped or something in transport and that they will usually switch out the rest of the box if a number of pods fail. Made perfect sense. And yes all the pods had the same Lot number so what the second rep said didn't make any sense to me either.

As for getting the replacement pods, after they took down the info on the failed pod, they said they'd send the replacement with my next shipment, to which I replied that I get our pods from a different distributor now. They replied they'd go out within 2 weeks. Fine. We go on to the next pod and they say the same exact thing about it going out with my next shipment, lol! Really?? Third pod, SAME THING! By this point I didn't know what to say. So who really knows when or if they'll arrive. :wink:

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm calling bullshit on the "mixed lot" stuff. I've heard this before and NONE of my boxes have had mixed lot numbers. None. I have a pretty good understanding of the term "Lot Number" and if they are randomizing "true" lots and using the same lot number on the box and on the individual device then I think we have a problem.

Personally, I am more likely to believe that there are shipping/shock issues than lot issues.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

My thoughts exactly Swellman. They were all the same lot numbers so they're definitely not mixing up the lots like they claim. There were also 2 other pods with the same lot number from 2 other different boxes that we had errors with (I keep a log with all pod errors) but they didn't (and don't) concern me as errors will happen from time to time. But 5 from the same box? That's definitely a shipping/shock issue.

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Just to offer a second or third to this, that has always been our experience as well. When we were having our bad patch with Insulet last year, we got boxes replaced based on lot number with very little fuss. DD has an RX for 48-hr site change, so the extra pods didn't matter nearly as much as the wasted insulin. But I figured at least the replacements get reflected in some kind of performance metric that might cause Insulet to take notice.

When we had a particularly terrible weekend with uncountable replacements last summer, I spent days on the phone with customer service until I got assigned a personal minder in their corporate office. She hand-held us through a couple of bad months. This all feels like a bad dream now because we've really been coasting with the Omnipod for the past 8 months or so. I hope that #*^& doesn't start up again!

7. Wren

Wren Approved members

When I read this, I thought: Wow, it would be great to have one understanding person to help with with this pile of failed pods I have to call in. Then: Wow, how sad that I would ever need this service.