- advertisement -

3rd grade in class responsibilites/accomadations?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd will start 3rd grade in August, as of now she goes to the health clinic at snack 1030am and at lunch for a bg check insulin and her food which i have sent in.

I would like to start to involve her teacher in the "d" equation in school, since she will start with grades next year and I can see how testing BG in the classroom prior to acedemic testing will help verify that she is good to go.

I would like her to also be able to fit the morning snack in when it is the best time in classroom learning instead of the "snack time", testing in the middle of something. So I would like her to have a gerneral time for snack that she would test and teacher assist her in dosing.

Lunch I will still have her go to the clinic, but probably have her be the one doing self testing and the aide assisting with dosing.

What are other 3rd grade appropriate responsibilities and accomodations that I have not thought about? How do you all handle treats in class and who figures out carbs, because until now they always call me, but I would like for the school to begin to feel comfortable in this matter.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not sure I understand the snack thing. Does the whole class have a snack? If so, I'd want her to have the snack at the same time as the class. If not, well, I wouldn't let her have a snack either.

As far as the other stuff, my son is in 3rd grade, and here's what we've done: If his CGM alarms low predicted, he tests in class. If BG is above 70, he follows a little chart that tells him what to do (if to treat, how much, and if not to treat, just to clear alarm). If BG is below 70, he goes to the nurse. If he gets a low reservoir or low battery, I have bright green sheets of paper pre-printed there for him and he circles which alarm occurs, and immediately goes and puts the paper in his backpack so I will see it that night.

He goes to the nurse before lunch and she handles carb counting and telling him how much to bolus. He tests himself and does the actual bolusing. If there is a treat, she counts carbs, but may call me for a consult on that.

His teacher is not involved at all, and I don't think she should have to be. He has gotten letter grades since 1st grade, and we don't have him check BG before tests. It is what it is at this point. We CGM, so it would be extraordinarily rare for him to be incredibly high or very low without our knowledge anyway.

3. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We don't have a school nurse where we are at right now. So what we do is my DD tests at certain times of the day, she has a paper on her desk that the teacher will look at and make sure she has tested. If DD is shaky she will test and let the teacher know, then if she needs to drink a juice she will call me and let me know. I used to go in for lunch but haven't since I had surgery on the 7th of Feb and cant drive for 6 weeks, but in her lunch I have what her carb counts are. Example if she has sandwich chips and fruit the list goes like this

Sandwich
    Chips
    Fruit

Right now this seems to work for us. Her teacher is very helpful :)

4. stewkimmom

stewkimmom Approved members

DS is in 3rd grade. He does not test in class. He goes to the clinic but does the testing himself. The Nurse monitors and records. If he needs a bolus, she supervises that but he actually gives himself the bolus.

He tests at 8:15 before getting on the bus.

10am, he tests in the clinic and returns to class to have his snack.
    (everyone is allowed to have a healthy snack at this time and most do)

12:15, he stops by the clinic on the way to the cafeteria to test and bolus.

2:30, he stops by the clinic on his way back from Specials classes. He has a snack if he's within a certain range. This catches any possible lows before getting on the bus.

He does check BG before state testing and evaluations of any kind but his testing times fit nicely into the class schedule. Major testing happens after his 10am BG check.

For special treats---a new nurse was just hired and she's a big ass problem but the system works like this:

School rules only allow birthday treats during lunch. If teacher knows something is coming in, she'll email me and the nurse. I add it to his lunch carb count. If a parent just shows up with a snack, the nurse will add the carbs if nutritional label is available, if not she calls me to work up a guess.

If a teacher arranges for a special treat in the afternoon, she emails me well ahead of time and tells me what she has planned. We work it into his afternoon BG check.

During class parties, my husband or I will attend so that we can eyeball any food served. Usually, it's pretzels, cheese, fruit and a cookie but the Valentine party was a Sundae Bar! If one of us couldn't attend the party, the nurse would have to attend and work up a carb count.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My dd will start 3rd grade in August, as of now she goes to the health clinic at snack 1030am and at lunch for a bg check insulin and her food which i have sent in.

As of 3rd grade we stopped having my daughter go to nurse. Nurse would have her call down and if low, told her to treat, if high she would go to class to monitor her correction. In the event of an emergency(where nurse was busy), she would then go to nurse.

I would like to start to involve her teacher in the "d" equation in school, since she will start with grades next year and I can see how testing BG in the classroom prior to acedemic testing will help verify that she is good to go.

The only involvement the teacher had was:
    a)be aware of symptoms of hi/lows and any other relevant diabetes info
    b)made sure that my daughter was reminded to test before tests and that she noted it on her paper
    c)take into consideration her bg when deciding if it was necessary to retest. For example, if she had a test at 9:15, and she was high, unless notified by us or the nurse, it was because of a breakfast spike and for my kid, not retest was necessary.

I would like her to also be able to fit the morning snack in when it is the best time in classroom learning instead of the "snack time", testing in the middle of something. So I would like her to have a gerneral time for snack that she would test and teacher assist her in dosing.

Snack was only if the rest of the class was having it. It wasn't encouraged because they were on the first lunch wave. If she felt was running low, she discretely had a quick snack of 15g and would recheck. Otherwise, because of the time she had breakfast, no regular check was needed.

Teachers did not get involved at all in dosing. The particular class she was in had a mix of needs and we felt it best for the teacher not to have to have that additional worry.

Lunch I will still have her go to the clinic, but probably have her be the one doing self testing and the aide assisting with dosing.

She still goes to the nurse at lunch, just a quick check in. No biggie. Nurse does a quick once over of her math and then she boluses, and shouts the number to her:p

What are other 3rd grade appropriate responsibilities and accomodations that I have not thought about? How do you all handle treats in class and who figures out carbs, because until now they always call me, but I would like for the school to begin to feel comfortable in this matter.

I think in 3rd grade it's just a matter of getting her used to certain tasks while not overwhelming or putting too much responsibility on. Our nurses were great in assisting. For example, if she went to a special without her bag, the teacher sent her back to get it. If she forgot her BG on a test, the teacher asked her to go back and look it up on her meter and write it down.
    For snacks, she was responsible for checking off what she ate and then writing it down for the nurse. Nurse checked her math, watched her put it in pump.
    Treats were allowed, the nurse was notified and she looked it up on Calorie King. Sometimes if the teacher had ample warning, she would email me and I would give her the carb count.