- advertisement -

3 hour start - cgms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jensmami, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I love the cgms, however on days like today .....................:mad: Sundays we insert a new sensor, later in the evening I start the sensor and calibrate, but after an hour sensor error, so I thought maybe it is not wet enough (about 7 hours after insertion). So, I turn it off. A few hours later I do new sensor, I calibrate, and then an hour or so later 3 h start! Today we already had at least 3 hour starts!!!!

Is there a way to safe this sensor? Do you think i might not have inserted it deep enough? How much do you rotate?

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Others are probably better to answer your questions than me - I haven't had a lot of luck when things like that happen. However, I have called minimed and they document the trouble and have sent me a replacement sensor and had me return the old sensor to them.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Call MM and whine! Sounds like a bad one, don't admit to it being shallow though!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

sometimes I get sensors that are like this, the eventually will work but it can be a total pain waiting for it to decide to work.. we insert on sundays, at night, while Kaylee's sleeping (her request), sometimes they won't ask for a calibration until the next day.. One thought, is it taped down well?? if its not taped down well and moving it could be starting the restart all over again.. when you connect it, that green light that blinks, it takes 2 hours from that point to ask for a calibration.. so if its not taped down well and its connections are not secure, it'll keep restarting itself. Other times, like you said, its just not wet enough and is picky..

sorry you are having such a frustrating time!

5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

In my experience, if it is going to the START screen without you telling it to (by starting new sensor) that is NOT a wetting problem. It is like Kim said ... the sensor is not connecting well with the transmitter.

I never trust a sensor that has had this problem ... it always happens again sometime in the life of the sensor and for me, it completely defeats the purpose of the CGM system if it goes to a 2-hour warm up period without me knowing. We assume that no alarms means all is well ... well, what if the no alarms is because you are in a warm up period and don't know it?!?

I would pull the sensor and do a fresh one, after contacting MM (they may want to run tests on the one you have in.)

I'd do this:
    1) Make a note for yourself about what sensor lot and expiration date the sensor is (in case MM has a bad lot ... this has happened before, but not for awhile). This will help if you have the same problem later. Plus MM will ask you about it when you call.

2) Upload your data to Carelink. Run a Data Table report and highlight all the times when it went to the 2-hour warmup/start without your direction. It will be all the times when it says Sensor Alert: Weak Signal (3-6 times) and then Sensor Initialization Started without a Start New Sensor in between them.

3) Call MM to document the problem. They will give you all kinds of tips (depending on what the current script is), including making sure she is hydrated, the taping issue that Kim wrote about, wireless devices in the home, insertion angle, etc. You can ask for a replacement sensor if that is important to you (like if you are paying out of pocket). But the real point is to document it in case it happens again.

Also give MM permission to view the Carelink data so they can see what is happening. It helps if you can give them the exact dates and times. They may then have you check your transmitter so have the plug and pump handy.

4) If this happens more than 2 or 3 times, you can ask for a replacement transmitter. That is what happened to us in January ... the transmitter passed the plug test but I had documented proof that it just wasn't connecting right with 3 different sensors so they agreed to replace the transmitter. Knock on wood, but we haven't had the problem since the transmitter was replaced.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. MLH

MLH Approved members

I have had this happen many times. I just keep restarting it--eventually it starts to work again. Make sure you keep the pump close to wear the sensor is. Sometimes I think it loses the signal and that messes it up. It is very frustrating.:p

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

This happens pretty often with us, too...don't know why. It's like it is a false three hour start, though - it doesn't take three hours to start showing data again. Weird.

8. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

It IS frustrating. Sorry if it seems like I am harping on this ... but this shouldn't be happening and is just unacceptable. MM should work with you until it gets fixed. For us, a few month ago, it was a new transmitter.

But it had also happened before. Some back-story: In the fall of 07 demand for sensors had gone up, production of them was quickened, and some of the sensors made then were faulty. I believe it was the connector pieces on the sensors ... they just weren't clicking in completely all the time (though you couldn't tell this from the outside.) It took a few months, but eventually MM fixed that particular problem. But it was a rough rough 2-3 months for us.

Here is why I am so adamant on this: it was the middle of the night, I didn't set my alarm clock to do a 3 am check because I had a sensor working and I trusted it to alarm me if anything was wrong ... but it started into the 2-hour warm up without my knowledge and I was without data - or alarms - for two hours. And early in those 2 hours, my kid went low, probably really low, and I didn't know a thing about it until 2 hours later when there was a Meter BG message and bg was sky high from a rebound. (see other thread ;) )

The restarts happened at night, during swim lessons, during preschool. I never knew when it was going to happen and so was constantly peaking at the screen to confirm there was data. Crazy making, I tell you. It completely destroyed my confidence in the tool to have this happening.

I just don't want anyone else to have this same problem, particularly when MM can and will make it right. Ok, stepping down from my soap box now. :rolleyes:

9. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

How old is your transmitter? If it is more than a year old keep an eye on it. You may be at the end of your transmitter life. If not then I would disconnect the transmitter from the sensor, blow on the inside in case there is lint in there and then start it up again. We had this happen a few times. Most of the time it was when there was a teeny piece of lint on the connection :eek:

10. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Thank you all so much for your answers, this helps a lot!!:cwds:

Kim, I don't think it is a taping issue, I tape the sensor down seperatly with tape, and the I tape the transmitter down, and the finishing touch is some skin tac over everything.

Rachel, I am with you it totally defeats the purpose of the cgms! We had a bunch of those sensors back in early 2008, but it has not happen in a while.

Nicole, our transmitter is old, almost 18 month old, but every time we test it, it works just fine.

Oh, today the sensor works so far perfect, at the last check it was only 2 points off!?!??!

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

On occasion we have had the random restart. It is very annoying when it happens, but Jack wears his sensor on his bottom, and I think it just gets bumped enough to briefly disconnect and reconnect.

12. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

This exact problem happened to us. We were able to get a replacement from MM. Beware of mentioning that you have used it past he 72 hours if you have---they may not help you from that point on.

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

In my experience it has taken up to 7 hours for a sensor to read and then it will read just fine (I tend to avoid that particular patch of skin, now.) Or if I'm rotating there I leave it in and do a periodic sensor start until it works.

How I learned this--the company got snippy with me one morning when I called for a replacement of a sensor I had taken out and discarded the night before and replaced with a fresh sendor in a new spot. They told me next time I really must call WHILE I'm having the problem or else they might not send a replacement.

So the next time it happened I called at 4 am and said, "OK walk me through and fix it." Well after an hour they couldn't, but during our chat I did learn it is not unusual for a sensor in some spots on the body to take up to 10 or 12 hours, I believe was amount of time they told me. Hope that is helpful.