- advertisement -

23, Type 1, constantly fighting this inconvenience.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mugen828, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've been on the Minimed 507, Animas IR1000, the Roche Spirit and the Medtronic Aveo, as pumps, all basically the same, you program them for basal, and bolus a nec.(My favorite is the Spirit, but we don't have a rep here, so I'm using the Aveo)

Personally, unless you're on a very very low dose, I think the smaller(150-200u) pumps are useless for anyone but kids.
    Just my 2 cents.

2. mugen828

mugen828 Approved members

Thanks for all the kind words and information skimom! I will definitely ask if someone deals with someone who is more active, that's a great idea.

@sheeboo, it does sting a bit, that's 50% of the inconvenience. The other part is actually getting a spot to put it in! Never thought I'd hate to be skinny but it's not easy taking the shots.

Where does your daughter place the omnipod? I have no idea where I would put the thing. My arms are rail thin...and it looks like if I put it on either side of the front of my stomach it might be half m waist haha.

I am going to contact the omnipod rep first, as I am most interested in that pump. I watched a video of someone placing it and it looked ok. Just worried about the size at the moment.

3. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

So far, she likes the pod on her arms best, and has also worn it on the top part of her tush. She is a bitty thing too, but isn't having trouble. There are quite a few toddlers on the Pod, maybe some of their parents will chime in. Google for images. That was helpful for our daughter.

She hasn't found a comfortable way to wear it on her belly because when she sits, her little roll of tummy flab is exactly the size of the pod. That will change as she grows. She wants to try her thigh next.

(new pods are supposed to be coming out "any day" which are 40% smaller. People have been hearing that for years, but as of a few weeks ago, omnipod has been showing them off at Diabetes camps. And maybe most promising of all, all the reps and CDEs are at a 4-day meeting this week at headquarters)

You can get a few free demo pods to try wearing (they won't have the cannula). Call Omnipod and ask them to send you a bunch so you can try various sites.

We soak the adhesive with baby oil at pod change so it peels off easier and without the Ouch of pulling a huge bandaid off :)

4. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Lantus works/absorbs best in the tush, and coincidentally that's a place that usually has fat too, have you tried it there?

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Welcome.

My son is 24 and extremely active so I thought I'd share his experience (with his permission). Since diagnosis in 2006, he's been using the Medtronic Paradigm 722 I think. Just after diagnosis with pre-diagnosis weight loss when he was crazy thin, he used the silhouette infusion site. He's been using the quick sets now and actually is still thin. ;) He detaches from the pump for playing basketball (and swimming) but wears it when he snowboards and most other sports. You'd want to talk to your endocrinologist as to what works best for you in whichever sport. He sometimes will go back to long acting and short acting insulin pens when on a beach vacation for a week.

His warranty is up on the Medtronic pump and is interested in looking into the new T-Slim mentioned.

You may not feel like the parents forum here is age appropriate for you - but I can tell you there is a TON of great advice by parents who care for their children. Search on specific topics and you'll find excellent information by people who live with type 1 every day in their families. I wish you the best!!

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi - My son is Vince dx 12/26/09 at age 13; and "we" are MDI! I know what you mean about leakback from the pens... we get that too. But he only uses the pens when he goes to friends homes or out with friends, at home, syringes. So far, no interest in the pump.

I did not read thru this entire thread, but there are many athletes with Type 1... some "close" to your field would be Cyclists Phil Southerland (Team Type 1) and Tony Cervati (Blue Heel Society or Diane Pridmore). If you have facebook, "friend" them, they are great people.

Best wishes to you...

Kathy

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would get Omnipod on the phone and discuss this at length! I know that little kids use the pod, and sometimes there isn't a lot of real estate for the pods, but they still make it work. A lot of people wear it on the back of their arms, love handles (sides and back), upper bum (the place above where you sit), upper thighs, as well as stomach. The one thing to consider about the omnipod is that since it's an all in one deal, if for some reason you hit a blood vessel or you get a non delivery message (or whatever the pod calls it), you have to put on another pod and try to extract the insulin from the failed sucker! The pods are pricey. The infusion sets that go with the tubed pumps are less. It might be wise to check with your insurance before you make a decision to see what would be most economical for you. I don't know what the pod failure rate is, statistically...but I do know that my daughter gets at least one to four wonky infusion sets per month depending on the alignment of the planets! :)

The start up for the omnipod is less $ than a pump but I don't know that it doesn't eventually even out because of the individual pod price. I know you didn't ask about the $, but just thought I'd encourage you to do your research. Once a mom...always a mom! :)

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm late to this party...but just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your resolve to improve your D management. In addition to having an 8 year old son with D, I also have two adult nieces. You remind me of one of my nieces, who was dx at 25 and is extremely active and also thin (well, she won't be thin much longer...she's also pregnant!!:):)). She has a pump/CGMs. She has pumped since dx, and I don't think her thinness has ever been an issue. I know my son is very skinny, and we just put the sites on his hip/butt area, where he at least has some fat!

I don't know my niece's D routines, but I know she bikes, runs, swims (has done triathalons) and now kayacks regularly and with great success. She is actually so active that she says she just turns her pump off at night and her BG stays in range! She is also a great amusement park lover and has no issues there. Your high activity level is great for your D (except for the pain of managing your BGs)...I hope you continue to enjoy all the activities you love.

Good luck with your new resolve and with pumping!