- advertisement -

1. momtoirishtwins

momtoirishtwins Approved members

It was our most severe low to date, and I am still sick to my stomach over it. We were in the van on the way to the store. My father in law was driving, my husband was in the passenger seat, I was in the first bench and my two kiddos were in the back. Connor and Evan had been joking around and laughing. Connor kind of quieted down, and when I looked back, he looked like he was falling asleep. I knew this was not normal for him, so I quickly took out his meter and nearly yelled when I saw the 22. His eyes were rolling back at this point, but when I said his name, he would snap back for a few seconds. I kept telling him to "stay with me" as I gave him some tablets. I was kicking myself for not having juice. I kept shaking him to keep him conscious and keep him chewing.
    Thankfully, he came "back" after a few minutes, and was fully back to his goofy self within 10 minutes (with the help of some nerds candy). I dont think I have ever been that scared.
    My father in law has never really seen a bad low. He was REALLY shaken up. He went to the restroom as soon as we got to the store, and when he came out, I could tell he had been crying. He said if we hadnt been there, he would have just thought he was sleepy, and let him go to sleep. I bet he never will let Connor take a nap without checking him now! lol
    Connor has been sick the last several days, and his numbers have been CRAZY. We had checked him just before we left for the store and he was 120. I'm just praying he gets better soon, and his numbers stabilize a bit more.

I really hate diabetes.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm so sorry. Lows in the 20s and below are scary enough when they are happening to you; I can't even imagine witnessing one in my child. I'm glad you managed to catch and treat it in time. (((((hugs)))))

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Been there so know exactly how you felt/feel.:(
    It shakes you to the core and makes you paranoid for days.

I hate freakin Diabetes too!:(

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Im sorry that happened Alissa!:( I know how scary those severe lows can be. You handled it so well though and it sounds like Connor is doing great and none the worse for wear. Now is probably a good time to make sure the glucagon is not expired and that everyone knows how to use it properly. Ive given Steven cake gel before when he was unable to chew gluctabs. It took him a couple minutes to be able to respond to me but it worked well and the stuff keeps forever.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry you had such a bad low. :(
    But maybe it's a good thing that your FIL was there? It will remind all the adults to make sure that each car is stocked with juice and gel and tabs ;-)
    That said, I hope you don't see another 22!

6. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Sorry that happened but you handled it great. Diabetes really SUCKS!!!!

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Scary!! But you handled it well and like a pp said, maybe it is a good thing your FIL witnessed it.

8. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I'm so sorry! Lows are so frightening sometimes and I can imagine how this upset your FIL also...glad he was driving and you could take care of things.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tabs are actually faster than juice, so if he was able to chew them, you had the best thing.

Many people use Pixy Stix for those non-chewing low moments.

Glad it was a short-lived episode.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I am so sorry.:( What a scary experience.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Glad he came up in 10 minutes. I hate the low ones that last even longer. Yes, we use GLucose not juice during lows like that. We were also told Nerds candy is fast.

12. momtoirishtwins

momtoirishtwins Approved members

I should keep some pixy stix in his bag. I was wanting the juice because he was having trouble chewing when he was slipping in and out of consciousness. Pixy stix would work just as well! We had some smarties in his bag, which we have used before.

Pixy stix and cake gel are being bought today! :)

13. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

Bless your FILs heart :( and your's! I've been there too, Caleb was down to 24. It was just me and him in the car. I had to reach in the backseat and shake him and keep yelling his name to keep him with me until I got to my mom's house. She had his lunch ready for him when we got there. Scared me to death.

14. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

I am so sorry you had to go through such a scary experience. As one person already said, DIABETES SUCKS!!