- advertisement -

200% basal with no sickness

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HockeyAndSoccerMomof4, Apr 16, 2009.

1. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

Nick woke up at 413 and had 0.4 ketones. He doesn't have a fever or anything. And he said he feels fine. Corrected and set a temp basal of 150% and bg just went up more. So I changed his site and increased his basal to 200% and still no change at all. I am stumped. No change in what he ate, hasn't been and isn't currently sick, insulin is good, new site, and there has been no exercise that was out of the ordinary. There is something I know I am missing but I can't figure out what. :confused:

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

I would change everything out just in case. New set, new res. and tubing. Even with brand new everything you can have a site or set problem. Ali

3. Danda

Danda Approved members

Could by puberty or growth hormones

I suspect his ISF just change suddenly. My DD just had this happen 1 week ago. All of a sudden she was 325 and with 1 unit correction she is supposed to came down to 125. She went to 209 in 1h and back in the 300 again. Her ISF just got from 200 to 100 for a couple of days. I also had a +70% basal increase and got the I:C ratio 2 points lower across the board. She start going back to before last night, so right now ratio are back to before and basal is only +20% on temp.
    Hope this will help.

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

We get that too, major basal changes that are unrelated to anything we can control. they will last for a few days to a few weeks and then change again.... very annoying that is for sure!

5. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

After ruling out the usual suspects such as the site, I figure that needs are going up because of a growth spurt, some other change going on in the body, or that pesky cow deciding to jump over the moon again. Last week Jacob's TDD was about 11.5 units. This week it is closer to 18 units. In another couple of weeks it may only be 9 units.

None of this helps you bring the numbers back to range but hopefully you see that you are certainly not alone and that the changed insulin needs may have nothing to do with anything under your control.

Lori
    Jacob (age 8)(dx 8-30-04)(pump 3-29-05)

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've been having that problem too. Corrections that aren't working until I give a 2nd one 90 minutes later. Going DOWN from a meal and then back up. I think springtime is creating new insulin needs!

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We rarely have a week when basal doesn't vary over a 700% (7:1) range. It's worth checking that the site is not bad, etc., but there is nothing unusual in our experience about having to increase basal 2:1 or way more than that to keep BG in range.