- advertisement -

2 yr old birthday ideas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Little Diabetic Dude, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

So next Friday our little 'Diabetic Dude' turns 2. I have thought about what to do as it is his first birthday as a Type 1.
    DO you do just a normal birthday with all the lollies, cakes etc or do you go all sugar free? I am unsure about this as I don't want him to feel any different. We are having the neighbours over (3 friends) just to play at home. I have made up chinese boxes with games and toys and will put some lollies in their too. I was going to have chips and nuggets and some cupcakes and party foods.
    What have other people with small children fed their kids at birthdays. I will allow him some extra bolusing that day because he'll be eating all day. They will have diet cordial and diet home made ice blocks and some fairy bread.
    I was going to make him a train cake.
    Any other ideas are welcome,TIA
    Mel

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we do everything exactly the same. :) Maybe leave out trays of carrots/celery other veggies - I think you might be surprised at how many kids actually will take those and enjoy them ...and then at the end put out the junkier foods, like the cake and send the kids home with the lollies...

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

Same as Michelle. We did a normal b-day party for Zane. The only change is that we all do cupcakes now instead of regular cake. It just makes it easier to track the carbs. And if the numbers are little wacky for a day, well, so be it.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we do everything the same too, it's not a sugar allergy ;) We don't eat like that everyday but it's a celebration.

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

You're pumping right? Theres no reason to restrict anything, he can eat as he usually would at such an event and simply bolus for the carbs. Obviously he wouldn't usually eat so much junk but once in awhile its no problem, he definitely doesn't need to be singled out and eat sugar free theres no need.

6. abacobaby

abacobaby Approved members

We haven't changed anything either, in regards to Grace's birthdays. She does a lot of running around at parties so she runs off a lot of the carbs.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I would do exactly the same as usual.:)
    You may be surprised at how little of the cake the kid will eat, if you have lots of games to play.

Enjoy.

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We do things the same, too.

9. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Since we're on MDI right now we had him do his cake and stuff right in with his lunch. We're doing my daughters bday this Saturday at 4 or so since that's when Julian has his dinner and that way he can have a cupcake like everyone else...

10. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We do birthdays the same as we did before dx.

11. Leece

Leece Approved members

Last year we did everything the same as we would if she wasn't diabetic and this year we plan to do the same. Yes she was a little (a lot) high we were on MDI and she had an awesome B-Day. This year we are on the pump and her numbers should :)D) be better. I'm guessing she will still be high and loving it. When I brought it up to the Endo they said its her B-day let her enjoy it.

I also found it funny that there is a 93 year old Type I diabetic where my MIL works (Auxiliary) and she always eats cake. She said what is the point in being good the rest of the year if she can't have cake on her birthday! especially at her age. This one really made me laugh and put things into perspective.

12. simom

simom Approved members

Carris - a Type 1 in her 90's - what changes she has seen in treatment in her lifetime. Sounds like she's a neat lady.

We do birthdays just the same - cake, ice cream, whatever. The only difference is that we offer Crystal Light instead of pop.
    B

13. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Same as always. Just count the carbs and give insulin to cover them. Same as we do every other day just with extra treats thrown in.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We do a cake, but don't give candy out in the goody bag. The kids were very happy with dollar store toys. :eek:

Also, did water instead of juice or soda so as not to make the day a total skyrocket. (but Ava never drinks soda anyway.) I just had water and milk out for the kids and coffee for the adults.

15. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

Thanks for everyones advice it just makes me think that what we do now is Ok and that everyone who is a D does similar. I want him to have fun and remember the day as a celebration not 'My first Diabetic Birthday'. SO thanks for the ideas and for helping me reaffirm that everything will be alright on the day.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We do normal birthday stuff cake etc...the only thing Seth ever has that's sugar free is diet soda.

I always buy 2 year old's a sit and spin for their birthdays:D