- advertisement -

2 year old diagnosed with T-1, feeling lost...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Safoo, May 14, 2012.

1. Safoo

Safoo Approved members

I feel a little lost right now.
    Sarah my 2 year old daughter was diagnosed last week.
    I am a T-1 as well, but have been for only 6 years (I'm 40 now)

I can't seem to find anyone who I know who has a child with diabetes that young and I was looking for anyone who has lived with and dealt with a small child who is T-1.

Essentialy looking for positives and someone who might be able to suggest hints on how to administer the insulin.

Novorapid + Levemir

Thank you

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hello there, and welcome to CWD! Sorry you have reason to be here, but I'm really glad that you found CWD so quickly.

I've had type 1 for 5 years and I use the insulin pump. I'm not sure how much you have looked into the pump for your own diabetes (or perhaps you are already using one?) but this could be something which is very beneficial for your daughter in the future.

Anyway, I can't particularly provide advice to you about young children with D, but I can tell you that there are plenty of parents of young D-children right here on CWD, and their children are thriving, and growing up to be strong, independent and thoughtful kids, often wise way beyond their years. Hopefully some of them will be along to this thread to show you that however terrifying and daunting this new diagnosis is, Sarah will be okay.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sadly, we have many member which children who were dx'd as babies.

Is there anything in particular that is causing problems? Is it dosing insulin or giving the injection that is causing trouble? Are you seeing a ped endo yet?

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Hi I just wanted to say welcome to CWD...I too am sorry you had to come here, but you found the right place to ask questions and get support. My daughter was 8 when she was dx'd. You will find other members that have much younger kids with T1. I know in the beginning it is very easy to feel lost and sad. I am sure with more time you will learn how to take care of your daughter just like you have learned how to take care of yourself. :cwds:

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

Welcome. So sorry you have joined us.

My son was diagnosed at 23 months. We knew nothing about type 1 at that time...which was ten years ago. We spent four awful days in the hospital and were sent home on NPH and humalog. We learned to count carbs quickly and have been managing ever since. My son is now 11 and on a pump. We combat the highs and lows, but treat it as a routine necessity...like brushing our teeth...just something we do.

The thing I was most worried about was d changing his personality, but he is still the happy, charming, scheming, loveable little boy he always was. My son has not only survived, he has thrived.

No real suggestions on shots...I can't remember back that far!

6. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Our little guy (now 7) was dx at 12 monts old, so I understand the toddler years with D. Like Sarah said above, is there a specific problem that you are having? In general, it's always good to be very prepared and ready to walk up, lift sleeve, give shot and not make a big production out of it. Perhaps give a choice as to where she gets the shot so she feels a little bit in control. Like, which arm...right or left. Distractions always help. Maybe a sugar free Popsicle or her favorite cartoon to keep her occupied. She'll pick up on your vibe, so if you're very matter of fact about the whole thing, typically she will be, too. Good luck!

7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

So sorry to hear of the dx. You will find many supportive parents of toddlers here. Ask specific questions and I know you'll get feedback.

You endocrinologist should be a massive source of info during the initial days following dx. Are they having you fax or call in BG numbers and making insulin adjustments for you?

8. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed in December at 2 1/2. It's a very hard adjustment we just started pumping which again is a huge adjustment......

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son was dx at 4 years old, but I have an adult niece who was dx at 2. I used to babysit her and was very close to her as a child. I can tell you she had a wonderfully "normal" childhood, played some sports, excelled in school, and had lots of friends. As an adult, she went to college, traveled internationally, and became a teacher. She is now married, with 2 beautiful, healthy young kids. She is a wonderful person.

My son, who will be 8 on Saturday, has days when he hates diabetes, but most days are spent doing normal, 8 year old things. He is my most optimistic, most generous, and compassionate child. I sometimes think, even though his D is annoying and hard some days, it has given him some gifts...like his compassion for other people.

I know it is hard to look past these new, dark, and scary days. But please know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel of adjusting...and a wonderful, bright, "normal" future ahead for your child. This will not define her or her life. Learn as much as you can, keep putting one foot ahead of the other, be kind to yourself, love your child...and you will get through this tough time.:cwds: You will NOT feel like this forever.

10. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Hello and welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's dx, but know that this site is wonderful and has tons of help/support.

There seem to be many parents on here with an early dx, so hopefully you find some support.

My son was a bit past 2 1/2 when dx'd. It was scary and frightening, but we made it through and feel settled in (as much as one can when your child has D). A big reason for this is the adaptability of children, which is amazing.

Connor really seemed to accept what was going on rather quickyly. At first, lots of tears and LOTS OF BANDAIDS. He hated to see his own blood and he panicked. However, as soon as we gave choices to him, like where he wanted the shot, he seemed to handle it better. I get this; it seemed like he had no more choices...he had to have his finger poked; he had to have shots; he couldn't eat like he was used to (he was a grazer and now had to be on a schedule). Once we gave him the choice of which finger to poke and which site he wanted, he was a different kid. He didn't have a choice, the finger poke or shot had to happen, but he did get the choice of where. He chose the "elbow" (back of arm) alot the first few weeks, but we adjusted and moved all over the arm. There were times I had to give him 5 seconds to choose, or I would, but he normally ended up choosing.

The other big help early on was realizing that he reacted more to my handling of the shot than to the actual pain or his own fear of the shot. I would just figure out the dose, draw it up, and walk up quickly and ask where then give the shot with no fuss or anxiety. He quit fighting the shots and it became part of our daily schedule.

Good luck, and please let me know if you need any other help/advice or just an ear

11. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

I am so sorry for your diagnosis, it is very overwhelming and I completely sympathize. I have to say, this forum has provided me with so much more help and support (and knowledge- most importantly) than any endocrinologist- and we have seen 3! My daughter was diagnosed at 8 months and no one in our area really had much experience with babies that young, and no one would put her on a pump. We finally found a practice that would, and that has helped a lot. Any questions that you have, I would recommend asking on this forum- there are so many other knowledgeable parents out there who are actually living with this disease like you are!

Jen, mom to Sammie, diagnosed at 8 months
    Pumping with purple Minimed Revel, CGMing and now with the MySentry

12. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I got lots of advice right here....day and night. The two things that stand out for me with a little one is to track everything (at least for a while) and the most helpful thing I think is to dose AFTER your little one eats so you don't have to battle lows because food wasn't eaten!

13. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Hi and welcome to CWD. Myt son William was diagnosed at 13 months and turns 4 beginning of June. Let us know what problems you are having and we will gladly provide suggestions. To me, the biggest positive in diabetes is my son can live a normal life and do everything a normal kid his age would do. Sometimes we just need a little extra planning.

14. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Sent you a PM

Hoping for the best

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I had one child diagnosed at 10 months old. The older child diagnosed at 3 years old. We were on shots for a year. The pump made it much easier. Younger son went on pump at 23 months old. I know some people use inject ease device with the shots.

16. Safoo

Safoo Approved members

Wow

You guys are great! I am overwhelmed right now... took a week off from work to try and deal with this and to establish some routines etc... My 1st day back at work was yesterday and I was blubbering like a baby... I just couldn't control myself...Kept looking for the off button ;)...I haven't really had time to deal with all of this quite yet. I have to be there for the family so I kind of pushed everything away. When I'm, away form them I think too much!!! Today is a little easier, but Sarah had a low last night and we stayed up all night testing and retesting and pretty much worrying... not too productive a day today I'm afraid.

The scary thing about Sarah's situation is that if I hadn't been a T-1 I would never had tested her and I wouldn't have known until it was too late. Our pediatrician had tested Sarah's fasting #'s and told us not to worry the she didn't have diabetes...1 week later we were in childrens hospital!

I guess a parent's natural instincts tend to take over at times like these. We do give her choices as to what finger she wants pricked and even to let her handle the "pricker". Testing the blood sugar level isn't the issue. We found a product with super fine needles (Delica I think it was called) and since we have used that pricker she doesn't seem to feel it. It's insulin time that is quite difficult. We always inject after a meal because you never know how much she will eat, and I try to leave dessert for either during or after the shot. (Learned a lesson there... I gave her her 1st popsicle after one of her shots and the next time we ate she held out her arm, patted it and said medicine, medicine, popicle, popicle!!! Don't want her getting the idea that she gets rewarded every time she has a shot! She wanted one for breakfast the next day, can't really blame her though, I'd love popsicles for breakfast too!...;))

I guess the advice to get it done quickly and with purpose is what we will attempt...again...
    All she has to do is see the needle and all kinds of wiggles, squirms and squeals start up. It really helps if I'm there, she holds onto my finger and looks me in the eye as Mummy administers the shot, but I'm not always there. Work gets in the way of life!!!

We tried giving the levemir in the bum at night, but I have never seen a bum wiggle so much in my life! I swear she could give those Rio carnaval dancers a lesson or two...

What also helps in some ways is me being T-1 as well. Sarah gets to see Daddy inject his medicine too, so she's not alone. She has been watching me inject at every meal we have together. and I don't make a point of hiding it either. I have been a proverbial pin cushion latley for my wife and Granny to practice on... I have some pretty nice bruises, but at least they are more comfortable with injections now. I let my wife give me my injections infront of Sarah.

I have learned so much about diabetes through Sarah, I didn't realize to what extent I had been left to my own devices...Anyway my story is different one, invloved misdiagnosis, losing my vision (since returned), mega weight loss... ignorant Dr etc... I was given insuilin pens and pretty much patted on the back with a "good luck son"... 'm so releaved to have found this forum, you have no idea

Does anyone use ice cubes to numb the area before injecting? Do you guys inject in the back of the arm of a little one or have you had success elsewhere? Has anyone got stuck with reward giving after each injection? At what age is a pump feasible? Is it really that much better then the pen?

Gotta get back to work...

Thanks again everyone for you sympathy and support if I can help in anyway just ask...

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  17. Safoo

Safoo Approved members

Thank you for your reply,
    I will try and ask direct questions in the future.
    Yes we have to give the numbers each morning and adjustments are made to her insulin doses for the day. Levemir is at 2 units and won't change because her pancreas still produces some insulin at night.

18. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I've found the Delica to be an excellent choice also. As is having a BG meter that requires only a tiny amount of blood.

My grandson, now age 9, spent his 2nd birthday in the hospital on diagnosis. We did use ice cubes for injections, probably for the psychological value more than physical. Distractions (TV), rewards, choosing where to get the injection (tummy or butt only for us), etc. Whatever works cause it isn't forever.

19. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

Hi! Hana was diagnosed at 23 months last year. I think it took us the first three months to start to be able to think straight! Regarding the ice cubes, I have to say the small syringes worked better for us than the pen. Also, a quick in and out works for little ones. For older folk, we are advised to hold the pen/needle against the skin for the insulin to go in, but with little ones, the dosage is so small that it works with a quick in and out. We used the tummy and behind. We did not reward for the shots but we made sure each episode was barely a few seconds. Once you feel comfortable with dosages, I strongly suggest getting the pump. It has totally changed our comfort level.
    Forgot to mention, you can use Vitamin E oil to soothe the sites.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  20. Safoo

Safoo Approved members

Thanks for the help!
    Do you mean the little syringes they use at the hospital... with the long needle end? Or do they have them in smaller lengths? I was given a couple as a survival kit for the weekend...didn't use them though. We are using 4mm needles on the Novo-Nordisk pens with 1/2 unit increments. Is the pump really that much better for you than using needles?