- advertisement -

2 new diagnosed at school this week!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kel4han, May 9, 2007.

1. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Our school is about 1500 students, K-8th grade. We had a boy and girl both in second grade diagnosed this week! I think that brings our total of kids at our school up to just 4 or 5. Isnt that bizarre? What is your school size in comparison to amount of "D" kids???

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we have between 6-700 students and 5 pumpers and a girl on Lantus alone, getting a new pumper in July. I too find this strange.

3. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

We Have Around 500 Students In Our School And We Have 3 Diabetics This Year. Two From Last Year Moved Up To Junior High. Haley Was Dx'd This Year And So Was Another Little Girl. The Teacher Said It Is Weird That Two A Year Are Dx'd Around The Same Time

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee isn't in school yet, but the local elementry where she will go has one child that is pumping.. the school, K-4, has about 48 students (IF that many) and so far, when Kaylee goes next year (in 08) she'll be the only one because the girl that is there right now will be moving up to the middle school.. I do know the HS has about 1200 students and there are 3 or 4 diabetic kids, not sure what they are using MDI or pumps.. that school is also 7 different towns coming together.

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia's school has 400 students, maybe not even quite that many and there is one other child with type 1, a fourth grade girl. She is pumping. Next year though she will move up to the intermediate school, so Lia will be the only one.

6. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

We have around 900+ students and i think 6 kids.. ONly 2 of them are pumpers.. ( THE 2 young ones K and 1st graders)

7. Steelemom

Steelemom Approved members

There are about 40 kids in the school where Zachary goes, and there are 3 w/Type 1. That's almost 10%! The nurse from Children's Hospital said that was insane for such a small school to have that many. Weird.

8. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

We have about 300 kids and 2 with Type 1 diabetes - both pump.

9. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

When Jesse was in
    in elementary school there were 750 kids - four with diabetes
    in middle school 1,000 kids - 6 with diabetes
    High school - 1000 kids - 3 with diabetes....that he knows about- there might be more...:confused:

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

We have around 550 kids in K-5 and Cam is the only D kid this year.

11. Boo

Boo Approved members

We have a little over 400 in our elementary school...only 2 with D (both pumping now)- my son who is in fifth, and a girl in third grade. Next year, when my son moves into middle school (which merges with 2 other elementary schools), I understand there will be several more.

I kind of look forward to him meeting other kids with D, since until this year, he was the only one in his school. But then I feel bad even thinking this way, because I certainly don't wish this diagnosis on anyone! Meeting others might help him not feel so alone in this.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Philip is in a school with 180 students (K-8). In the 9 years he has attended this school, he has always been the only child with Type 1 diabetes.

13. KarenLynn

KarenLynn Approved members

When Grace starts K in fall, she will be one of 2 with D, about 700 kids total. The other boy pumps. We are currently on MDI.

14. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

In my son's school there is about 310 students - two with T1.

Interestingly enough, the stats that the public school board put out said that they have about 1 in 300 students with T1.

15. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

Our district (K-8) has just under 1000 & my 2 kids are the only ones that I know of. I guess next year there will another student entering Kindergarten that also has it.

Boo, I know what you mean about there being some comfort with someone else there even though it's a terrible thing to have in common. Camp was such a great experience for my son last year simply for this reason as is this site!:)

16. sparkyjt

sparkyjt Approved members

Reese goes to a K-4 school and she is the only D they have ever had. I would guess there are around 3-400 kids.

17. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

We have 750 kids K-6 and only 1 type one using Lantus, Cade is the only one on a pump.

18. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

There are about 400 students and 2 with T1D. At the school Ryan will go to next year, I know of one other T1D/pumper. But could be more. I don't know.

19. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

We are just over 500 and there are 3 kids with type 1.

20. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Emily's school is small--125 students K-5. She and another boy in 5th grade are the only ones with Diabetes, and he also pumps Cozmore. The 3rd grade teacher's DH is on a Minimed pump, and the K teacher has a son who was diagnosed with T1D 2 years ago and still does Lantus/Log (doesn't want a pump). We all use the same Endo!

During the Open House last month, a little girl on a pump came through with her parents to look at the school. I recognized her from our pumping class.

Small world here!