- advertisement -

2 Children with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Mar 16, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I decided I wanted to post this thread as a positive thing. I know before Travis' dx last month, that having another child diagnosed was a HUGE fear of mine. I would look at signature lines of people with 2 and hope fervently that it would never be me. I also know that this is a fear of many of you on here - as a lot of you have communicated that at one point or another.

Well, I want to set your mind at ease a little bit. I want you to know that if it happens to you, that you CAN do this, and to not live in fear that it might.

Here is what I've learned:

* The second time around is MUCH easier! The overwhelmed and scared feeling of how to do this is totally gone. You know what to do. You know how to do it. It's going to be okay.

* The children already know how to do it. Travis saw what Kylie had to do, so when he was dx, he was SO quick to accept it and move into the life with ease!

* You're already doing it for one, so adding another isn't as bad as it was going from none diagnosed to one. Counting carbs is the same, you already have a scale, measuring cups, etc. a plan to measure things out. You already know to give a shot. You're already checking in the night for one, so you add another. No big deal.

* You've mastered things that were harder the first time around - eating out, going to a buffet or picnic, how to recognize and deal with a low, how to work out the schooling issues, having a babysitter. So you don't have as much anxiety around those things!

Some things of course aren't the same - they might not react to foods the same way, or they may crash with different activities - but overall you KNOW what you are doing and you are ready to deal with all these different things.

So if, God forbid, you are like me and one day have to face another child being diagnosed. Rest easy, my friends. You can do this. It's so much easier the second time around. And while it just sucks in general, life does not get worse!

I hope that this can make you rest in your hearts a little bit, so that you aren't so afraid of what it would be like if it happened to you! <3

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Tiffanie,

You know when your son was dx, I cried. I remember when you first came on and me PMing you about your avatar pic, remember? Then reading about the 2nd dx just broke my heart.
    But here you are, positivity personified!:) Kudos to you! You're an inspiration.

3. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I remember, Paula. :) You all and your support help me to be positive!

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Tiffanie - that was absolutely beautiful! You are an inspiration. :)

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I have to admit I sat and cried reading your original post about Travis as well.

I appreciate your taking the time to address others fears about a second dx. Your outlook on D and life in general is inspiring. Thanks so much for your post and it's positive message.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Wow Tiffanie - Thank you so much for posting that!!! No wonder why your son is adjusting so well, because of YOU!!!!

Good job!

7. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

We've been thinking a lot about families with 2 or more kids with diabetes since dx and wondering how they do it. Met a family with 3 kids with D this weekend and was so sad for them. But you really do look at it positively (what else to do, huh?), hats off to you!

We had planned to have 2 kids, maybe 3. Now, with our first baby dx this young, all those plans are suspended for now....That thought about D will always be there.

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Thank you so much for posting this. Riley has been having numbers as high as 333. I called the endo and she is being seen tomorrow.

In Jan. we started noticing she had some symptoms. She went as high as 289back then.

I am almost sure what we are going to be told tomorrow and it is good to know it is not going to be the same helpless feeling.

9. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Tiffiany, your a doll for posting this.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Will be thinking of you and Riley:cwds: Good luck tomorrow!

11. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

What a great note. You are so right. I have 2 other kids and test one of my boys alot because he's much thinner! You have a great attitude. I'm sorry you have to go have 2 kids with this disease, but what you wrote it is so great. Thanks for sharing!

12. TimO

TimO Approved members

You are an inspiration, especially to those of us who know this is going to happen and are fearfully awaiting it. Thank you for sharing!

13. seeingspots

seeingspots Approved members

Wow... thanks for the post-- you are an inspiration! With our 2nd son so newly diagnosed, we have been living in fear that his brother (26 months) , our first, might end up with D too. And, now that I am 29 wks pregnant with ds #3, I admit I have been terrified for his birth... if I hadn't already been pregnant when my son was dx, we probably wouldn't have gone ahead and tried for a third.
    You are so positive, and, God forbid, we end up with 2 or 3 D kids, I sure hope I can be as optimistic as you are!!;)

14. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That was inspiring and so positive. I cried for you too and to hear you now...I know you'll have a huge impact on those of us who do happen to have a second child dx'd.

15. CButler

CButler Approved members

Thank you, Tiffanie. This is helpful since many of us DO fear that second diagnosis in our kids.

16. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

Thank you for your post. It is a big fear of mine too, but I finally realized a few days ago that, although I hope it never happens again, we'd be okay if it did. I even saw a positive in that they would have someone close to them that would really understand all that they are going through.

I'm glad you're all doing okay and the transition has been a little easier this time.

17. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

*Sniff, Sniff* Thank you for posting that!

18. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

That was an amazing, inspiring and uplifting post! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your experience. Your kids are so lucky to have such a positive influence and role model in their Momma! :)

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

I still cry when I think about you guys - thanks for writing about the positives!

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That was a really nice post. Thank you, Tiffanie.