- advertisement -

18 year old rarely has lows

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Feb 19, 2011.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

so does this really happen? She has had d since she was 5 and doesn't use a cgm. It is someone that we know and I was saying that James is having too many lows as of late and she said that she rarely has a low now. I mean that is great and I know everyone is different, just was surprised by the rarely, in fact she couldn't remember when she had her last low.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And her last A1c?:rolleyes:

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I know many people who don't have lows because they run high.
    I also read an article about a person who'd been on insulin for fifty years and had never had a low (though he did have diabetes complications)- turned out he had MODY.

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My thoughts exactly. The way I understand it, striving for tight control and an A1c lower than 7 well, lows will happen. But as with highs, they should not be frequent or the norm. :cwds:

5. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

7.5 was her last a1c

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

She may have lows that she is not aware of, depending on how often she checks her BG and when she checks. :cwds:ali

7. skimom

skimom Approved members

my son checks 8-10 times a day, rarely has lows and has A1C of 7.3 He is 20- Actually both of my D kids are quite sensitive to BG that is on its way down so they tend to catch and deal with things before they are truly low.
    They will have their days, but as a rule, my son has VERY few lows

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am afaid to think of how many lows we "HAD" wothout CGM.

No fault to the person that you are speaking about, but even with CGM mt dd may get to 30-40's, but mosty 60's before she feels them.

9. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

When you stop growing you get much much more stable. It is the norm! Something to look forward to!:D

10. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

yes that is what I was wondering. That will prob be in 13 yr for my son and I hope we won't have to find out as a cure will have been discovered.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Don't share your Bgs with her.:D That's all I can come up with.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

:cool:
    brilliant

13. joan

joan Approved members

I have got to say that since my son has been out of puberty his lows are so much more infrequent its unbelievable (Last A1C 7.3). This is also one of his highest A1C's so maybe if it were lower he would be having more lows but he really hates lows so he is happy. He also checks 8 to 10 times /day and does feel his lows so can treat before they are really anything. It actually seems that d control is a bit more predictable, wow... after 16 years some consistency.

One more reason I think his lows are less it that he is on a 30% basal /70%bolus. Because he plays sports that works for him.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm 24 and have lows just about daily! My a1cs are usually around 6, though.

15. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Maybe you have different definitions of low? Some might think 70 is low...maybe some people don't think of it as low until they hit 50 or 40? The term "low" is somewhat subjective.

That'd sure be nice if things even out after puberty! We have a LONG time before that happens, though!

16. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

We've gone through periods where dd has lows very infrequently. Less than once a month. Her highest ever A1c (post dx) has been 7.4, but most often in the high 6's. I think dd's bg just doesn't swing as wildly as some.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm 18, my a1C is 7.2 and I have lows most days. I have a friend who claims to never have lows, but she only tests about once a day and is hypo unaware, so she really wouldn't know..

18. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel is 17 (almost 18) I think he has lows a couple times a week but he feels them and usually catches them at above 70. So if you ask him he will say he rarely has them. So his definition and mine are different.:cwds:His last A1c was 6.8

19. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

update

I did find out that she does not do any activity and if she does she is almost guarenteed to have a low. She says she does need to start doing more. She is most def. not overweight but it almost sounds like she dreads the lows so stays away from doing anything away from her reg. routine.

20. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Something different than type 1? denial, uninformed, subjective, or she knows the SECRET.