advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17 month old with a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momMD, Jul 29, 2013.

1. momMD

momMD Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 13 months with type I DM. We have been doing alright with blood glucose control but it is really hard to dose accurately with such small doses (on 6 units total daily with levemir and humalag). When we do a correction factor it is 0.25 units! I am really motivated to switch him to a pump to help with accuracy. Does anyone have a small toddler with a pump? We did a "Pump Try On" this weekend and it was so-so. My son did a great job wearing it during the day and was not at all intersted in it. However, his twin brother thought it looked like great fun so he was constantly grabbing it and trying to push buttons. Also, during nap my son took the pump off his belt, was pushing buttons and chewing on the the insulin cartridge cap and tubing. He destroyed the rubber cap entirely! I realize a pump wear pack would help minimize his access to it but wanted to hear if anyone had any advice. The Animas rep suggested the tank tops with the pocket on the back or a shoulder holster. Anyone try this? Woudn't it be uncomfortable for him to sit in a high chair, car seat etc with it on his back all the time?
    I appreciate your input as I hate to order a pump and have it not work. I would love to do Omnipod but the minimum basal settings are too high.
    Thank you!!
    MomMD

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My daughter was considerably older when she began pumping but there are folks with young toddlers here who pump and I'm sure they will chime in.

Meanwhile, I'd look at the animas ping for the remote capability and try both a soft flannel type pump pouch and the undershirt and just keep the tubing and pump out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure that eventually the novelty of the pump will fade and your other son will eventually get the message that the pump is off limits. ;)

Good luck.

3. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

My son got his pump at 20 months old. We have the Medtronic pump. His site is in his upper rear, so he has always worn his pump in a belt with the pump in the back. The Medtronic has a lock option so that he can't mess with settings and such if he does get to the buttons (but that's pretty much never been a problem). His pump belts are always snug, so it's nearly impossible to get to the pump easily since it's on his back. We like the Spibelt, but have several types of belts.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hopefully other people with pumping toddlers will chime in, but I know some people put the pump in a regular pump pouch, and modify the closure so that it is too difficult for little hands to undo. I believe that all of the screens on the pumps can be locked, too. You may want to get your hands on them and see which lock would be most difficult for your little guy to figure out.

I think a pump would be invaluable for a baby/toddler.

5. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My son was two when diagnosed and started the pump 10 weeks later. We use the Medtronics pump and used the shirts with the pocket in the back. We had an aunt make them by using sleeveless undershirts. She sewed a pocket on the back that secured with velcro. There was a hole for the tubing and it worked with arm and bottom sites. He really couldn't reach it. It was kind of a pain to have to pull it out to look at, but it was our best option. Now, at 4, we use a belt with a clear screen window. I have a bunch of shirts that he outgrew that are in decent shape that I would be will to ship to you.

Amy

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd began pumpIng at age 2. I think it is a wonderful choice for little ones. The small doses really help. We had her wear undershirts with pump pockets on the side or back so she really couldn't get to it herself.

7. natallia

natallia Approved members

My little boy was diagnosed at 9 months old and started pumping at 17 month. We went with Omnipod so he wouldn't pull on the tubing and press buttons after trying Medtronic and Animas Ping. We have been pumping with Omnipod for over 6 months now and loving it. Its super easy to apply, there is no tubing, manual priming, rewinding etc. I just fill the new pod, slap it on his bum, thighs or upper arms and press start. He doesn't even notice it anymore. Once in awhile he would reach out and sort of feel it with his hand but that's about it. It is of course a personal choice, but I can't imagine having an actual pump, heavy and bulky in my opinion, hanging off him 24/7. His TDD was 7 units when he started pumping.

8. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 15 months and we started pumping at just shy of 22 months. We use the Ping because of the remote. We can keep it out of the way, and while we were worried he'd mess with it, he really hasn't. He just turned four, and we've yet to lose a site while playing hard - and he's ALL boy. We put his sites on his tush, and had no issues with it getting in the way if potty training (something else I was nervous about).

We have gone back and forth with toddler tanks and spi belts. The tank we like best is from Kangaroo Pump Pockets.

Pumping was the perfect decision for us. It is so much easier to bolus for the way a busy toddler eats, and we struggled on Lantus because if we gave him what he needed to stay level during the day, he'd go low at night. Vice versa and he'd be sky high at night, but so insulin sensitive that sometimes a carefully drawn 0.25 units in a syringe would send him crashing.

We've never used numbing cream for sites, but have used a Magic Rock (a small smooth stone kept in the freezer). We used the art of distraction (and bubble gum when he got a bit older), and I wouldn't trade that inconvenience every three days for four shots a day (at least).

We did a saline trial ourselves, but refused to have him do one. It wasn't his decision at 22 months, and it seemed cruel to subject him to a site and shots at the same time.

Feel free to reach out with other questions.

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

We started pumping with the Omnipod 3 months after she was dx at 2 1/2 years. She didn't play with it or fiddle with it but then again all toddlers differ in their behavior. Good luck!

10. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Thomas was diagnosed at 4.5 months and started pumping before he was discharged from hospital. In the beginning we used the medtronic clip on case because we had trouble finding others that would fit. After a couple of months we were finding it bulky, so for about 1.5 years we used a plastic zip loc snack size bag with pump inside, and we bought a bunch of cloth training pants and we put the bag with pump between his diaper and the undies. I ordered some pump bands from diabete-ezy about a year after diagnosis but the smallest size was too big and he didn't start using them until about a year ago. We use his butt for sites. In the beginning we used his outer upper thigh because he was so chubby, but when he started slimming out and picking them off all the time we started using his butt. We do keep the cases / bands inside of his pants now. He doesn't bother picking at it or taking it out.

11. crg2010

crg2010 Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 2 and started on the Medtronic pump at 2.5. I'm not sure about the other pumps, but Medtronic has a keypad lock function and we keep ours on lock at all times just in case. During the day his pump is in a Pumptastic pouch turned to his back and at night we keep it in tank tops with Velcro closure pouches my mom made for us. This works really well for us in keeping the pump out of his way.

My 1 year old was overly interested in the pump for the first few days but now leaves it alone. I was also very worried about my son being comfortable in the car seat, shopping carts, booster seats, etc with the pump pouch on his back, but it hasn't caused any problems for us and my son has never complained about it.

12. momMD

momMD Approved members

Wow, my endo team won't even let me consider Omnipod as the settings aren't low enough. I wish they would as no tubing would be wonderful.

13. momMD

momMD Approved members

thank you!

Thank you all for your responses. I sewed a pocket inside his onesie and he did GREAT! So we ordered the animas and can't wait to get started. I think the pump will make this much easier on all of us. I feel like all we do is chase the target all day and get closer but never in range.

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My DH's cousin got a pump for her DS at about the age of your little one. I haven't talked to her specifically about challenges with pumping on a child so young, but she said she really likes it. She said she puts the pump in a spibelt and he leaves it alone.

She looked at minimed and animas and went with animas for the remote bolus feature. I would probably do the same if I had a child that young. Especially if they want snacks all day long, you don't have to stop them to take the pump out, etc. The best way to choose a pump is to get your hands on it to see what it's actually like. I also got a recommendation from our dr. which helped us decide.

Also, the MM pump has a lock keypad feature so a baby can't accidentally give themselves insulin. I imagine other pumps have a feature like that. You'd have to look into it.

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

I see I've come across this thread after you've made your decision but I'll chip in anyway!

My son started on a pump at 10 days old. We went with an Animas because it had the smallest increments but I think most of the pumps do comparable volumes now. We had an Animas 1200 first, then a 2020 and have recently started on a Vibe (which I don't think is available in the US yet).

We've been really pleased with all the pumps.

We use a backpack for his pump but may change to a Spibelt as he is getting older. It has never been an issue on his back. The only time we take it off is at night so he doesn't have to lie on it.

If you have any questions about small children and pumps please ask.

16. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter had a pump around 20 months old. Like above poster said it has a lock feature so they cant mess around with the buttons. Luckily my daughter was great with it and didnt feel the need to play around with it. She got adjusted to the pump just fine.

17. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 20 months, and began pumping a few months later. We found Omnipod to be easy, as it was out of sight and out of mind for him.

Jen

18. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months, and we started pumping at 14 months. She has always used the Medtronic Revel. We tried a belt with a pump pack but it was bulky and didn't work well; a backpack option is what we ended up with for awhile. Finally, on this site someone recommended the tank tops with the pockets in the back- (www.mykpp.com), what a difference! We LOVE them! I have ordered about 20 from the website, and she just wears them under her clothes. She is almost 4 and it has worked for us very well. Even at night, she sleeps with the pump in the pocket in the back, and it doesn't bother her at all (I think she is so used to it that it would feel weird if it wasn't there). I like that option best and she does as well. I would also love to try the Omnipod at some point but we are not ready to change that just yet.

As far as the accuracy, you cannot beat the pump- we were drawing up tiny doses of diluted insulin and seeing a lot of variability, so for us it was a tremendous difference being able to have the pump measure out to 0.25 units.

19. momMD

momMD Approved members

Wow, that is amazing - pumping at 10 days old! Glad to hear it worked so well for you.

20. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I have to say since reading this post I cannot believe there are so many dx so young. Bethany was dx at 2 1/2 years which I was told was very young at the time. But I am seeing multiple dx earlier than her age. I wonder why this is? Ugh this disease is just so awful :(