- advertisement -

15 yr old son recently dx with Celiac--what's your "sick day" plan look like?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by ozarkmom, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

Before Celiac, we would use the liquid (Endo recommended because of the high sodium levels) from Ramen Noodles, but now that our son is Celiac, I'm trying to find another substitute. Just being gluten-free has challenged our thinking and I don't know what to do.

Could you tell me what your sick-day plan looks like?

Thanks!!!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

For our T1/celiac daughter, Popsicles are the only thing she will accept when her stomach is upset, so fortunately sick days didn't change much when she went GF.

But we just went through this with a house guest who had a stomach bug and was wanting her sick-day standbys of Saltines and Lipton Noodle Soup, in addition to Gatorade. She knew that we've been keeping our kitchen GF for two years, and told us to find whatever GF substitutes we could. We bought about 4 kinds of GF table crackers and GF chicken broth in a box -- I think the brand was Pacific Foods, but there were a couple of other options at the store, as well as a few kinds of GF instant bouillon cubes.

The boxed chicken broth was a hit, but she gave thumbs down to the crackers. I actually almost got on this board to ask whether anyone knows of a good GF Saltine alternative!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We never had any specific foods in our sick day plan but I keep some Gatorade in the pantry and always have boxes of good chicken stock on hand, "Kitchen Basics" is hands down the best and it's GF. You can always up the sodium, thought's pretty salty right out of the box.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

All of the Schar crackers are very good. They break really easily (most GF crackers things tend to, I think) and they are expensive, but they do taste and look, "normal". http://www.schar.com/en-us/products/us-crackers?ff={387213FA-D8F8-4700-936C-A1CC8B18E2B7}

5. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

Thank you for the ideas. I, too, found some GF chicken stock and we've found that Aldi has some good tasting crackers.