- advertisement -

15 yo boy running low all the time???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

Having problems with my 15 yo running low. I just don't understand why...especially happens during night and afternoon.

Negative basal not enough...he is no more active than normal.

:confused:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Perhaps his growth is slowing and he just needs his basal rates dropped a bit. Perhaps more active? I'd try lowering his basal from maybe 2PM for a few hours and see if that helps. It is just a moving target :cool:

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Are his bolus rates variable during the day, or constant? My son had a constant 1:8 ratio for a long time but more recently his night time ratio has changed to 1:9 and his morning went to 1:5.

He has trouble with evening lows as well.

No idea why this change, but find it interesting, perhaps there is something at this age that changes their afternoon needs?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

What does "negative basal not enough" mean?

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I believe that she means that she reduces the basal by making it a negative.

For example, rather than the typical basal, she reduces it by 50 percent which would be -50 percent. She might even reduce it more than that and she is saying that that reduction is not working to reduce the lows. She is essentially lowering basals temporarily (rather than changing the settings) and she is not seeing a reduction in lows.

I would say that you are not reducing the basal enough. By what percentage are you making the reduction????

6. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

With the negative basal on pump at first I was doing -20% and then -45%.
    He has two basal profiles: 1 - "school" or couch potato
    2 - "active" profile which is -20% of # 1 during night time.

Even with "active" basal and -45% we are getting lows so we are double checking carb counting and changed active insulin time. Maybe he is out of growth spurt mode but it feels like he is in honeymoon all over again. (7+ years with T1)

This happened before in 2006 but much of that was a lot of activity...constantly outside playing and that was before pump.

His endo asked if we added any other meds (non-d) and we added a vitamin D supplement because he was low on that with his last blood work-up. Previously, we have had similiar reactions when we gave him melatonin to help him sleep. He has occasional insomnia when he can't turn his brain off. But the melatonin didn't last weeks.

I'm just worried more so with school starting up with new teachers.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

a very smart friend recently said something to me that probably also applies in your situation: sometimes we don't need to know 'why' our kids need more or less insulin, just that they do.

Yours just happens to need less right now. I would just turn down his basal, like Sarah suggested, from about 2pm on and see where that gets you.

8. robertsmom

robertsmom Approved members

I second that. i like the quote it can be reused in many parts of our lives, i think. "sometimes we don't know 'why', it just is" very smart friend!!!!

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

see post #2 ;)